Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Tutorial: Creating virtual bonsai by Rod Lovett

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16057 by Rod Lovett
G`day all , firstly can I apologise to anyone who was reading this post while I was mucking around with it yesterday. I am very new to the computer world , though I am getting there. Anyway the reason for this post is I get a lot of people ask me how to do virts and can I do them a virt. Even though I am always happy to do virts for people ,I do think it would be great if they could do their own , this would allow them to add their own touch to the composition or they could adjust one that me or others have done for them.
I don`t want to go into a long winded written explanation on how I do, them instead I have done a series of pic in stages trying to explain it. I have used a pic of our Hawaiian friend Tims boug, thanks mate . The program I use is paint . net that is a free download , and I basically use two tools in it the clone tool and the paint brush. A good thing to remember it that you can enlarge the pic which makes it heaps easier if you are doing fine work.

Oh by the way I`m sure that there are plenty of ways to do this
and thats great , but this is what works for this old bloke and I seem to get good feed back on the end result. If someone is out there that can teach me how to add a pot to my trees in this program I would love to have a lesson. Please please ask if you dont understand I am very happy to help if I can, or maybe someone else will that way we all learn after all we are one big team.
Cheers Rod...

Wow guys how many times do we need to thank Brenden this is so much easier to use . I hope this helps , remember ask if you dont know .
I`m sorry I just realised I forgot to mention on my last pic it is always good to add some front branches. It may seem a little slow at first but after a while you will get faster and faster.
Rod.....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenden Prazner, adam k, James Agius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16064 by Shannon young
Good one mate. Great presentation!!!:D
Like virt #2 the best!

.....BONSAI ON THE BRAIN.....

8 years 9 months ago #16074 by Rod Lovett
Thanks Shan.

8 years 9 months ago #16075 by Peter Woosley
Rod, with your background, do you do it with that sort of texture for a reason? I do mine with the paint brush or spray can in the the same colour as the background objects. Just curious mate, i quite like the textured look you have given it.

8 years 9 months ago #16076 by Rod Lovett
Mate it`s just how it comes out when I clone the background , I find it quicker to clone it than to change the complete colour . If all of the background colour is changed it has to be done with more detail around the trunkline or if you leave some foliage on then it becomes a pain getting in behind it. On some trees I do the black thing.
Rod...

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16077 by Peter Woosley
Yes i agree Rod. What i mean is just select the background color and paint the rest in it. I will copy your original picture and show you what i mean. Just a quick one mate, but all i do is color the area that needs to be colored in a matching color to the main background. Its easy to do, but as i said, i quite like the texture in the way you have done it.

This message has an attachment image.

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16078 by Rod Lovett
Sounds good mate I am always up to learning something new. Oh hang on are you talking about selecting a colour similar to the colour of the background.
Rod..

8 years 9 months ago #16079 by Peter Woosley
Yes mate. I just select an area close to the area that i want to change and fill it with that color.

8 years 9 months ago #16082 by Shannon young
Here we go guy's did my firts Rod style virt:)
Still basic but I'm getting there!

Before

After

.....BONSAI ON THE BRAIN.....

This message has attachments images.

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16084 by Rod Lovett
Way to go Shan ,I think you have done a good job you can see why people doing virts like a clean background.

Mate a few pointers, it would look more realistic with the layers of foliage more defined.
Another thing I do when I have a lot background like you have is to use the rectangle tool and crop it out making the tree bigger.
Hey mate I was just thinking it would be good to see a little action on this tree, when are we going to see it wired out?

Rod...

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds