Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Neglected Juniper gets a new lease of life

6 years 5 months ago #36458 by Shane Martin
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments. This is what I love about this forum, great encouragement and well educated opinions and advice. I knew this second tail would stir comment and it has..... looks about 50/50 to me. Craig, thanks for the spot on virt. It is exactly how I could see this trees future, if I decide to loose it, however I want to wait and reserve judgement after the design has put on a seasons worth of foliage. I think it will have a very different appearance when it fills in again...:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #36475 by Rod Lovett
Nothing like pushing the boundaries, I like that you are trying something different. Good idea to wait and see.
Cheers Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shane Martin

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #36477 by David Willoughby
Hi Shane,

Great looking Juni, I really do like how you have styled it and I am a massive fan of the secondary tail to the left. By having that tail for me it evokes a feeling of a very natural looking cascading tree, while also reminding me of some beautiful scrolls of the Huangshan mountains. While being a little different, it creates a balance and something unique. I love Craig's virt as I too could see it go down that path, yet without being negative, it does remind me of many cascades that we see. If that makes sense.

I look forward to watching this develop.

Cheers

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

6 years 5 months ago #36479 by Shannon young
Nice, different work Shane. Though I'm not sold on the look its good seeing a bit of tail and error (HAHA). Craig's on a winner with the vert.

.....BONSAI ON THE BRAIN.....

6 years 5 months ago #36518 by Shane Martin

David Willoughby wrote: Hi Shane,
Great looking Juni, I really do like how you have styled it and I am a massive fan of the secondary tail to the left. By having that tail for me it evokes a feeling of a very natural looking cascading tree, while also reminding me of some beautiful scrolls of the Huangshan mountains. While being a little different, it creates a balance and something unique. I love Craig's virt as I too could see it go down that path, yet without being negative, it does remind me of many cascades that we see. If that makes sense.
Cheers
David

Thank you David for the very perceptive reply.... You're right on with your thoughts about this tree, as they are the very reasons it was styled this way. I could have gone down the route of removing everything that didn't fit the traditional Cascade box, but instead I wanted to challenge myself a bit more. Not so long ago I would have replicated a design just like Craigs virt which is still a very good option, but I love the detail of the small branches all over this tree which i have done my best to retain without it looking too crowded. It takes years and years to develop ramification in juni branches, and somewhere along the line, this old one has produced some beautiful detail which I simply struggle with removing unless I absolutely have to. I honestly believe time will be this subjects best friend, and lets face it..... I can remove it in seconds if I grow to dislike it, (pardon the pun)....
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, David Willoughby

4 years 4 months ago #48188 by Shane Martin

Shane Martin wrote:

David Willoughby wrote: Hi Shane,
Cheers
David

Thank you David for the very perceptive reply.... You're right on with your thoughts about this tree, as they are the very reasons it was styled this way. I could have gone down the route of removing everything that didn't fit the traditional Cascade box, but instead I wanted to challenge myself a bit more. Not so long ago I would have replicated a design just like Craigs virt which is still a very good option, but I love the detail of the small branches all over this tree which i have done my best to retain without it looking too crowded. It takes years and years to develop ramification in juni branches, and somewhere along the line, this old one has produced some beautiful detail which I simply struggle with removing unless I absolutely have to. I honestly believe time will be this subjects best friend, and lets face it..... I can remove it in seconds if I grow to dislike it, (pardon the pun)....

Update for this one.
Coming along slowly but surely. This pic is not as of right now, but a year ago..... forgot I had recorded it back then, but it is not too far from where the tree is now. I will try and get a new pic in the next day or so.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, JC, David Willoughby

4 years 4 months ago #48195 by JC
Hi Shane

Good call.

JC

4 years 4 months ago #48197 by Mark
Great looking cascade..
Slatz...

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds