Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

New scots pine styling help

6 years 8 months ago #40515 by Liam
Hi everyone.
I got this scots pine last week from Leong. I thought I would put it up to see what everyone comes up with for styling. The trunk on the left is shorter then the one on the right and the middle one is dead. Any ideas? If you need more pics I'm happy to take some. Also how do you do that virts thing?
Cheers Liam

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #40517 by Stuart Myhill
this is really nice stock. This video may help you for styling.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason

6 years 8 months ago #40518 by Peter Woosley
Great material Liam. Looks like there are lots of possibilities with it also. If this one were mine i would keep it healthy, clean out all the dead material (but leave the dead trunk in tact) look at it for a few months and then develop a plan. To good a material to rush into.

6 years 8 months ago #40519 by Liam
Hi stue thankyou for the comment that vid was a massive help.
Cheers liam

6 years 8 months ago #40520 by Liam
Hi Peter. Thankyou for your comment. It is a great tree I'm vary lucky to have it. Would you consider a twin trunk design? Since posting I have cleaned it up.
Cheers Liam

6 years 8 months ago #40524 by Peter Woosley
Hard to tell Liam without seeing the base properly. From the picture it appears that both trunks are about the same size and they split at almost the same spot. That might make it hard to create a believable twin trunk. Going by what i can see in image 0459, i think i would try and lay the tree over to the left quite a bit. Similar to what Robert Steven done with one of his demo trees at Tops last year.
Pretty hard and risky to design trees like this from a few pictures mate, it would be a great tree to bring along to someone like Marc Noelanders or Ryan Neil!

6 years 8 months ago #40525 by Liam
Hi Peter
Thankyou. The trunk on the left is about 100 mm lower then the right one. What's the Robert Stevens demo? Is that on YouTube? Hopefully Ryan neil will come to Australia soon. I'm sure they would be able to do something amazing with it. I think for the age and style of the tree it needs something amazing done to it to do it justice.
Cheers
Liam

6 years 8 months ago #40526 by Peter Woosley

6 years 8 months ago #40527 by Liam
Thanks Peter vary nice. I like his work. Do you now when he's around again?

6 years 8 months ago #40538 by David Willoughby
Hi Liam,

Fantastic bit of material to play with, there looks to be a tonne of potential and a tonne of various directions you could take it. Stu linked you to a great vid by Graham Potter, also Peter mentioned something that would be a great idea in taking it along to a workshop where you could work the material with a known Bonsai artist. Not sure if you are a member of a club but if there is one close to you, perhaps you could look to join it and seek out those experienced members for advice with the tree there in person.

Don't be in a rush to style it, yes that would be like hearing nails run down a chalkboard in it being very painful. Whenever we get new material we often get itchy fingers and want to get into it and I am no different, that is all good and well if you have a solid direction but if you are unsure it is wise to sit tight. An old snooker saying that comes to mind is, "When you can't think of anything to do, do nothing.".

With Ryan, I think he is coming back to OZ in the not too distant future ;)

Cheers

David

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds