Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Red pine style pruning

3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #53643 by Rod Hockings
I have just got a large red pine, (trunk is about 8cm, 3"). I can visualise the finished plant, but it involves removing about 80% of the foliage and some major branches. I have read that they don't like heavy pruning, any suggestions?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #53667 by Anthony W
Hi Rod

I would be hesitant to remove that much foliage in one hit also myself as I have struggled with them in the past doing so,I personally find them soft compared to black pine,and when doing root work or removing anything on pine I always do it in the dead of winter in the last two weeks of July.

Go steady mate and they definitely do not like wet feet in my experience or inexperience,basically given up on them.

Hope some of that helps and not dampens you.

cheers Anthony
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Agius, Rod Hockings, Dwayne Johnson

3 years 10 months ago #53670 by Mr Badhair
Hi Anthony

I agree with your comment that they don't like wet feet, I had one growing for 3 years like it was on "diabolic steroids" and then I got a little over enthusiastic with the watering during a particularly hot spell and managed to drown the tree in its own pot so I would recommend to anyone that they keep a very close eye on the watering.

Cheers
MrBadhair
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, James Agius, Rod Hockings

3 years 10 months ago #53679 by James Agius
Hi Rod, looks like great stock.

It's a little late now to do such heavy pruning on pines, it should have already put out its buds by now.

If you're worried I'd cut back 1/3 each year and back bud prune. Remembering to keep a decent amount of needles wherever you cut back to.

But for me, I'd wait until summer when the heat is up to do a heavy prune, cut back hard but make sure there's a strong root ball and needles wherever you cut back to. You should see strong needle clusters coming out and backbudding around this time if you're in Syd.

Cheers,
James

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam k, Rod Hockings

3 years 10 months ago #53802 by Rod Hockings
Thanks everyone, guess I'll have to be patient (time is a bonsai tragic' friend?), bit by bit, I guess. When would you root prune to keep it in balance?

3 years 6 months ago #54582 by Rod Hockings
Just finished the weekend workshop at Bonsai by the Beach. Worked on the red pine with Clinton Nesci. Most impressed with Clinton and very happy with the styling. Meanwhile, Apuleius of km's of wire later .................

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, adam k, john , Ray Mackaway, Owen Li, Mark

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #54584 by JC
Hi Rod

Looks great in the flesh as per usual, even though the photography is first class :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: it still doesn't do it justice.

JC

3 years 6 months ago #54586 by leong
Great approach, couple of seasons to develop then you would say "I want". Great work Clinton this pine is shinning with you.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

3 years 6 months ago #54590 by Owen Li
What a beautiful tree. I see a few instances where adhering to the 'bonsai rule book' would have resulted in a much less interesting/effective design. It will be gorgeous in a few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod Hockings

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds