Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Bending a Black Pine

2 years 1 month ago #54850 by Ray Mackaway
Hi folks,
Last week at the School Of Bonsai we were looking at doing heavy bends. I went looking through my trees to see if I could fine something suitable. I found a Black Pine and a Juniper that need some serious bends. The following photos show what I've done with the Black Pine.
This tree is one of the air layers I've done from a large Pine I use for demonstrating layers. I removed a couple of bottom branches that were being used to thicken up the base. The tree had some bends and I thought it had potential to be made into a Shohin size tree.

This is what the tree looked like before doing any bending.

The following is what the tree looks like after bending.

I used 16mm diameter Rio Bar to support the tie wires used for the bends. The Colander or plastic pot isn't really strong enough to carry the forces used to get these bends.
The tree was wrapped with Raffia. Support wire was placed over the areas that would need the largest bends. The RED line indicates where I placed two lengths of 4.5mm diameter wire, and the YELLOW line indicates where I placed two lengths of 4mm diameter wire. After the wires were tied in place the tree was wrapped with Raffia again.

The RED ARROWS indicate where the tie wire were placed. Because I wanted acute bends the wire ties help to achieve this rather then just wiring the tree and trying to get acute bends.

Now the waiting time begins. It will take several years to get a reasonable tree and a number of years to increase the ramification.

Regards Ray

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, adam k, Farmer J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #54851 by leong
Great work Ray. Nicely done.
Yours sincerely.
Leong
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Mackaway

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #54854 by JC
Hi Ray

Nice work love a bit torture here and there.

Just a question would a H/D cable tie or two be strong enough to hold it in position after you removed the Spanish Windlass Wire Hitches (Wingenieers Speak) ?

It would remove the downward forces created on the pot?

Or have I jumped the gun and you remove the 16mm Reo Bar after bending ?

JC

2 years 1 month ago #54862 by Ray Mackaway

JC wrote: Hi Ray

Nice work love a bit torture here and there.

Just a question would a H/D cable tie or two be strong enough to hold it in position after you removed the Spanish Windlass Wire Hitches (Wingenieers Speak) ?

It would remove the downward forces created on the pot?

Or have I jumped the gun and you remove the 16mm Reo Bar after bending ?

JC

Hi JC,
No, the Reo Bar has been left in place.

I wouldn't use cable ties for this job. The bends take quite a bit of force to get them into place. The cellular structure has been manipulated quite a lot during the bending. The more stable to bends stay the better the healing will be. If you use cable ties and the tree is put back out in the Sun they will tend to stretch. If by chance they broke this would put the healing process back some. With all that said there is another process that can be used to achieve what you are eluding to. Use reasonably heavy wire. Put some plastic tube over the the wire where the wire would be around the trunk/branch. The wire won't move.

If you have a look at the RED ARROW on the photos below. This tie is doing somewhat similar to what where talking about. Note the plastic around the trunk.

I will leave the setup as is. This is most probably a 12 month setting time.

Regards Ray

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2 years 1 month ago #54863 by JC
Hi Ray

Thanks for that it explains it a lot clearer I forgot about the cable ties not being solid enough allowing movement.

Great lesson Ray just loved it, thanks for sharing it with us.

JC

2 years 1 month ago #54866 by Anthony W
Thank you for explaining the technique Ray...cheers

2 years 1 month ago #54867 by john
Thanks Ray ,you cant get much clearer than that. I have several trees I would like to bend severely and this is very timely. A quick question ,most bends seem to be done on pines and junipers ,will this process be suitable on other trees .I would like to use it on some Kunzeas I have collected , most have been settled for two years and growing well. Cheers John.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #54869 by Ray Mackaway

john wrote: Thanks Ray ,you cant get much clearer than that. I have several trees I would like to bend severely and this is very timely. A quick question ,most bends seem to be done on pines and junipers ,will this process be suitable on other trees .I would like to use it on some Kunzeas I have collected , most have been settled for two years and growing well. Cheers John.

Hi John,
"will this process be suitable on other trees" The answer is not a yes or no answer. Many species can be bent when they are young trees. There are some species that would not tolerate this type of bending once the growth has hardened off. If a species of tree seems to have good flexibility in the branches, you may be able to achieve acute bends. If you think a tree can be bent you may have to do this over time. Set up the bending procedure and apply some bend. Leave the tree for maybe a week and apply some more bend. Repeat this process until the appropriate bend is achieved.

I don't have any Kunzeas myself, thus I'm not sure how flexible they are. I don't know if Leong has experience with this species or someone else may be able to give some feedback.
Sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer mate.

Regards Ray

2 years 1 month ago #54874 by john
Thanks for the info Ray. I will try on a lesser branch and go about it slowly. Only one way to find out.....Cheers John.

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds