Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Chinese Elm

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #55645 by Anthony W
Hi Guys this is tree that got decimated by disease/pests not sure what it was but foliage and ramification was lost.

By smashing it with lime sulphur and confidor alternate weeks, I was lucky to keep it alive then start the resign with all new branching a good half up.

I have a good way to go with it and looking to fill the top half to a good third in, the trick not to topiarise/topiary it..see what you think, please suggest your thoughts.

Another ground layer

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, adam k, Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #55648 by JC
Hi Anthony

For me I think that on the left hand side the second branch up from the bottom one needs a little length to fill out or take a little from the branch above it, bit hard to tell with the background in the shot.

I love the heavy padded ramification on elms that they get, so for me topiary doesn't present a problem

Also I think that the nebari needs tweaking regarding the crossing root that draws your eye. Anthony is there a chance of a closeup of that area?

I know that you didn't mention about the pot, but for me it looks a little heavy and masculine, I think that the tree will look a lot better in a slightly smaller rounder / rectangular feminine pot. Maybe you are going to change it or just placed in this to recover sorry I just had to mention it.

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, Mark

1 year 9 months ago #55658 by Anthony W
Here you JC, I have just cut back again and again after growing out repeatedly for length and ramification, cutting back to two leaves each time and happy with its progress, yes all branching will be grown out a lot more especially the branch you alluded too.

The big crossing root has been looked at a few times but is holding some important root-age, maybe will let Leong have a look at it next visit for his thoughts.

Yes the pot is a bit bold and will be addressed next season hopefully.

Thanks for thoughts JC always important have more eyes checking the ticks and crosses..cheers mate.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1 year 9 months ago #55659 by JC
Hi Anthony

I figured that you were on top of it, its a shame that the roots went sorted when it was a pup.

But if you were going to show it anytime, I had a tree with a similar problem and at show time, I just hid it with a piece of moss for the couple of days.

Much the same you do with the wires that you use to tie the tree into the pot, there will be always one that you have to come over a root on and its hidden with a piece of moss..

JC

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #55666 by Anthony W
Great idea with the moss JC, the base i inherited many years ago and just accepted it as it is a 1989 tree and quite special there, but will see what Leong says next visit up close and he can choose a pot too...no pressure much, I ll tell him you said :evil: :laugh:..cheers JC

Anthony
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds