Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Styling ideas

1 year 6 months ago #56841 by Rod Lovett
G'day all, this is one of my elm stock plants I grew from cutting they are nearly 30 yrs old.
When I started bonsai it was popular to have most of our trees with a Japanese style. Through the years I have noticed a developing trend ,some artists are styling their deciduous and tropical trees with a more natural feel.
I too have grown tired of the same old pine tree style for every tree. I have slowly been trying to advance how I style , obviously I can't change all of my trees and certainly don't want to.
With this tree ,I can try something different . It could be a bonsai penjing cross , for me that doesn't matter. I feel a bit the same about the so called styling rules , if I like how a tree looks that's good enough for me . Oh, with this tree I will have to grow a sacrifice branch in the top 3rd of the tree to give better taper. Just some thoughts of where I'm at.
Cheers Rod

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, adam k, Taffy, Chad, Nanette

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago #56842 by Taffy
I like your idea of 'thinking outside the box' Rod. Hope you keep updating this one. Going to be interesting to see how it develops.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod Lovett

1 year 6 months ago #56843 by Anthony W
Hi Rod

Your thoughts are exactly my thinking and I have started to design to that more natural feel on newer trees especially some of my figs as I radiate the branching up and out then down, like most the variety of styling looks and feels great as results come.

Looking forward to watching this tree progress, great potential there and great thoughts.

cheers Anthony

1 year 6 months ago #56847 by JC
Hi Rod

Good call yup have to put my hand up that it is good to embrace the two creators of bonsai as in the Chinese and the Japanese and sometimes mix them up, just to get a response good or bad.

It gives you a hell of a lot more freedom to bring out the beauty of what a tree presents to you without the constraints of the basic styles.

I might add in this day and age I know of a number of people that dont like the topiary padded bonsai, but if it looks good then go with it.

Like you say if they all looked the same then, we would be looking at elm's styled as a conifer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love where you are taking it.

JC

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds