Juniper workshop (18 Feb 2017)

We have just completed a juniper workshop...... some of the junis were junis that was originally style by Mark Noelander and Robert Steven

× Discussion forum for Styles & Styling.

Ghost Gum

5 months 1 week ago #57767 by Ray Mackaway
Hi,
I would love to have an Australian native tree that looks like this photo.
These trees are not actually "Gum trees". The following information helps to explain a little more about these trees.
"Several species in the Corymbia genus, which is closely related to eucalyptus, are also called ghost gum. These were part of the Eucalyptus genus until they were reclassified in the 1990s. Because they are so closely related to eucalyptus, they are commonly called "gums," just like eucalyptus."

Information about the tree:
Ghost Gum
These beautiful trees grow in the centre of Australia. I photographed this tree at Palm Valley in the Northern Territory. This particular tree was growing out of a cliff face. When you see the rock where these trees grow, you wonder how they can get enough water to live. Yet, this tree was very healthy.
These trees are quite often found in Albert Namatjira's paintings.
If you want to see some of his work, have a look at the link below.
Albert Namatjira

Regards Ray

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, JC, Taffy, john , Mr Badhair, Mark, Nanette, Anthony R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #57773 by JC
Hi Ray

Nice photo, looks like it was on the side of a drop off.

I happened to be invited to a Christmas party cruise on the Nepean River and it was in the night around 10pm that we came across a group of them on the banks.

Well I was blown away by the beauty of them with the dim lights from the ferry shining on them, they were a fair way upstream on the right.

Then it struck me why they were called ghost gums absolutely beautiful, thanks for the reminder Ray.

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Mackaway

5 months 1 week ago #57774 by JC
Hi There

This was posted on ausbonsai by Joel, I'll bet everyone knew about this :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
JC

Although the Corymbia were split from Eucalyptus due to distinct morphological characters, more recent genetic work has shown that they are nested within the Eucalyptus genus. That is to say that they are more closely related to some Eucalyptus species than some of the other Eucalyptus are. This is what we call paraphyly and is a major issue in taxonomy where we strive to create monophyletic groups I.e. group things by relatedness, not how similar they appear.

Regardless of what you call them, they are a beautiful group of species that can offer endless inspiration for the Australian native bonsai enthusiast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Mackaway, Mark

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds