Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Soils and Potting Media.

Superthrive and Seasol?

6 years 2 months ago #42695 by adam k
Adam are you talking about superthrive
Or seasol ? Can you please explain more
Ive not heard this before

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #42697 by Adam
Hi Adam
It's seasol, the reason being tradition penjing is element soil (living). And the season/fertilisers etc kill the bacteria, fungy, mycorrhizae. Because the plants are in a symbiotic relationship if you remove the mycorrhizae, bacteria the plant will struggle to feed.

6 years 2 months ago #42705 by Biofusion
^ if you use the correct fertilizers and nutrients it will actually result in better symbiosis in the soil.

Seasol, is very high in organic solids and is a great food for bacteria.

Certain fertilisers like fish hydrolysate will feed michorrizal fungi fantastically.

Having said this, certain fertilizer can negatively impact soil microbiology.

It all depends what you use, and how much you use, and in what way that impacts the overall health of the soil.

I am aware that penjing soil is a whole thing of it's own, but it runs along the same pronocipals of an organic based mix.

Saying however that using any fertiliser will cause damage to soil microbiology I'm afraid I must disagree with, in ANY soil medium, including penjing soil. That statement is simply erroneous.

If your using tap water, you'll do more damage with the chlorine content in te tap water to microbes in te soil than you will be feeding the soil using organic based nutrients.

Having said this, the NEED to feed when using penjing soil may possibly be less as I'm lead to believe it is quite rich.

Inorganic nutrients (soluble salt based) are another matter however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Willoughby

6 years 2 months ago #42706 by Biofusion
I'll also that, that even inorganic based mixes still have both beneficial fungi and bacterial populations, organic based mixes have a better ability to harbour greater numbers of beneficial microbes than an inorganic medium, and in all cases, it is the microbes that help in uptake of nutrient.

All soil CAN BE living, and in most cases is, some however, more so than others.

But using organic fertilizers and nutrients intended to "feed" the soil and therefore more accurately feed the microbes, is going to in fact fo the direct opposite of killing the microbes and the plant, it will in fact, help them to thrive
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Willoughby, aubrey preece

6 years 2 months ago #42708 by adam k
I was under the impression seasol
Being a plant tonic not a fertilizer
Was fine with michorraezae ??
Or am I confusing something ?

6 years 2 months ago #42709 by Brian Bishop
G'Day Rob,
I thought the best way to describe the product to you would be to post a pic front/back of the pack for you.

Cheers............Brian

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

6 years 2 months ago #42710 by Adam
Hi guys
Ok good subject, I'm no expert though I tend to believe fertilisers are always stronger than the way Mother Nature would feed. Anything strong than it should be could upset the balance. I've used organic fertiliser to see my moss die.... I use compost teas and week organic fertiliser.
I suppose we wouldn't know for sure how much damage if any unless we examine the soil under microscope. But I might say if your soil has no worms you don't have bacteria.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds