Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Soils and Potting Media.

Repotting the bonsai?

5 years 2 months ago #43852 by imran shafiq
Hi

I try re-potting 4 to 5 different fruit's bonsai trees i.e. Orange, Lemon, Mango but every time the tree die. I don't know what is I am doing wrong?

1st Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove some soil around the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

2nd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove all soil of the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size O of rocks around it.

3rd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots only and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #43853 by wattynine
Imran, Your method at first glance seems sound and as simplistic as you put it it's about what we all do. It could be as simple as your timing? potting at the wrong time? I would question your technique perhaps? Are you making sure of having the new dirt forced into the newly emptied root spaces? Is the compost sound material? What's it's air/ water porosity? What are you doing post the re-pot? It could be environmental.
There's probably a lot of questions that can be asked, the simple answer is perhaps to scour your area (you haven't mentioned where you are, for a local bonsai club, failing that a nursery even could be of some assistance. You need a conversation with someone in your local area one answer to a broad question isn't going to solve this one.
hope this helps.
Watty

5 years 2 months ago #43877 by imran shafiq
Hi Wattynine

I am living in Karachi, Pakistan and I found no one who's knowledge is more then mine.
I make sure that new soil are filled in newly emptied root spaces. After re-pot I give lots of water to tree.
1) I found different re-potting timing which one is correct?
a)Mid Summer b)Early Spring c) Mid Spring
2) If old pot is break then what is the strategy?
3) If old pot is break and it is not the re-potting time then how to re-pot the tree?

5 years 2 months ago #43883 by JC
Hi Imran

Watty I though that I might help out here as well.

My understanding regarding fruiting trees is that it is best after fruit drop & before the next flowering period.

The thinking is that the tree considers that the fruit is the children & is continually feeding them to create new life. Meaning if that period is disturbed then it will upset the balance & they will die.

I think that they have a sleep period after that.

I have heard that oranges & lemons are touchy anyway in the root pruning department?

JC

5 years 2 months ago #43887 by wattynine
Go for it JC, happy to say I'm still learning as well.
Maybe the deal with the roots is a very light touch to the outer rootball and simply "pot up" in a slightly larger pot.
If a pot breaks Imran, my suggestion would be to source a container same or slightly larger size and repot the tree as normal.
If the tree has been out of the pot for a period of time and the rootball has dried, mate I have to say there is not much you or I can do with, roots die, plant dies.
I do see JC's idea of between fruiting as a good idea to try and repot in this period.

5 years 2 months ago #43892 by JC
Hi Imran

Just to make sure that you are trying to create Bonsai from these sort of trees?

If you are then I would be thinking big, rather than small as the fruit will not shrink & they look completely out of scale when in fruit.

if you are after something that looks like an orange then, if you can get your hands on a Cumquat these have small rounded fruit & look in scale when used as a small bonsai.

www.google.com.au/search?q=bonsai+cumqua...Tp4GACw&ved=0CBwQsAQ

JC

5 years 2 months ago #44268 by Hugh
Hi guys, just joined the forum.....
I have aquired an old lilly pilly tree that has been in a 45L container for many years. It will have a solid compact root system and I would like to begin to bonsai it.
As we are coming into summer here in Sydney, would it be safe to reduce the rootball to say a third of the size and re-pot into a training box now?
I do not want to kill it, it's got great potential.
I'm thinking to reduce again next season . Cheers.

5 years 2 months ago #44269 by JC
Hi Hugh

Welcome aboard.

Do you have any pictures you could post up for all to see?

JC

5 years 2 months ago #44270 by Hugh
Thanks very much, yeah sure. I will post some when I get home later. Any initial thoughts on re-potting at this time of year?

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds