Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Soils and Potting Media.

straight zeolite versus straight diatomite? any di

10 years 7 months ago #8992 by jamie rowe
hey guys :)

i have recently been able to aquire zeolite but not diatomite, diatomite would of been my preffered option but being hard to come by in hervey bay its caused me an issue, i did find zeolite though, which i sort of figured was similar?

i am wondering if anyone has tried a pure zeolite v pure diatomite test experiment sort of thing?

because if the zeolite works well without mixing like diatomite does i will go with that otherwise i will be trying to hunt down diatomite, i still have to check out a couple of other places but have my doubts, it took me 14 different places before i came across the zeolite and that was a second option, obviously to diatomite.

any thoughts or info would be great :)

jamie :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #8993 by Grant
Jamie the QLD connection are the best to answer this one.

I was going to be a Comedian but everyone laughed at me when i told them.

10 years 7 months ago #8995 by jamie rowe
thanks grant, i am trying to source something close that wont cost a fortune for freight, am trying to get it for pickup actually.

would like to know the differences if any between the two though as a growing medium? wondering if i will get the same webbing of roots like in the "figs in diatomite" thread?

10 years 7 months ago #8996 by Rod Lovett
What did the southern boys say on the other forum Jamie, I have been always under the impression that zeolite was used as an additive that retains fert and releases it slowly. I think it is used in most good potting mixes, thats why I would use it as an additive. I would use it mixed with diatomite, mate fernlands at nambour will send it to you if you send them an order.

10 years 7 months ago #8997 by jamie rowe
cheers rod, the other guys from down south havent really come to any conclusion, brett did say he tried it with a seedling but i think it was neglect more than anything that killed it. i can see how it holds fert better but cant see any other difference, and the thing is with how much it is free draining i cant see how it would flush out with the right watering? not sure but i think that diatomite or zeolite(if it works) is a far better medium than organic as i cant see how over watering can be a problem with it, it seems to hold just the right amount of moisture needed at all times, not water logged not dry?

i will have to try fenlands and see what the price is to get some sent up, but like i said i still got maryborough to check, kingstons might supply it if i am lucky.

10 years 7 months ago #9003 by Peter Woosley
I think using the zeolite straight would present problems with size and also actual shape of the granules. It would need to be crushed to between 1mm and 3 mm to be useful as a growing medium, all the zeolite i have seen is too round in shape to consider using it straight. I don't know the analysis of zeolite either so that would be my starting point if i were to consider using it. As Rod said, its an primarily an additive. Diatomite is up around 70% silica, plants love it.

10 years 7 months ago #9004 by Leong Kwong
Please Please do not use straight zeolite. It holds and retain too much water. In right volume it is a wonder product. Was use in cattle feed to NASA in space but pure in plants NO NO.
Cheers
Leong

10 years 7 months ago #9017 by jamie rowe
peter, this is interesting, the zeolite i have is abstract in shape, sharp if you wish and is around the same size as the diatomoite shannon uses in his trees. so thats why i thought it might be ok.

leong, i know you have said no no to using it but i have put a couple of trees in straight as a test :S i am wondering if i should take them out and make a mix instead?
it confuses me a little that it holds water well but to mix it in with other nedia would make the mix more retentive of water wouldnt it? especially if its organic?
the test trees (i cant remember if i said or not) are a ficus and an olive, quite hardy trees so it might not cause to much of a problem with them?
the ficus is a trunk chop that hasnt any regrowth on it yet? was chopped about 4 weeks ago, i chopped a few others about 3 weeks ago that are pushing new growth?

odd, to me anyways?

i think i might have to try and get the ingredients for your mix in your book leong :)

jamie :D

10 years 7 months ago #9019 by Leong Kwong
Jamie you told me you are doing Hort course. Your lecturer will be able to fill you in with growing medium - air, air space, water and porosity index, pH and the like in growing medium, then you will understand why pure zeolite is no no.
Cheers
Leong

10 years 7 months ago #9021 by Peter Woosley
jamie rowe wrote:

peter, this is interesting, the zeolite i have is abstract in shape, sharp if you wish and is around the same size as the diatomoite shannon uses in his trees. so thats why i thought it might be ok.

The only zeolite i have ever seen Jamie is more roundish and oval in shape, thats not to say the stuff you have isnt different. The Diatomite is very sharp and angular in shape.

Do the experiment Jamie and discuss your results, but do use a control plant!

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds