Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Soils and Potting Media.

straight zeolite versus straight diatomite? any di

8 years 6 months ago #20033 by Lards
Try pool shops for bags of zeolite from memory its cheap cant remember our price tho my bad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #20034 by Taffy
Your 'bad' what Josh? Seems as if you didn't finish your sentence.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

8 years 6 months ago #20056 by Lards
My bad because i have worked at a poolshop/ manufacturing company for nearly 3 years now and unable to tell the price of a bag of zeolite. Checked today its 15 kg for $15

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #20066 by Taffy
Should be cheaper from a rural supplier. Haven't checked lately though. So I guess that's 'My bad' (have I used that slang expression in the right context :huh:).

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

8 years 6 months ago #20084 by Rod Whiting
hi jamie about 6 months ago i rang the maidenwell co-op (they are the main distrubitors of the local diatomite) near kingaroy and enquired if there was a local agent to which they informed me that fraser coast 4wd kingston drive maryborough sold it . the contact given to me was richard brosnen 41230633 . it is also available at the golden city brick + landscape nursery (the meeting place of the gympie bonsai group)114 noosa rd gympie qld.i hope this information is still current and is helpfull . personally i use about 70% soil mix to 30% diatomite and i am very happy with the result . cheers rod

8 years 6 months ago #20086 by Lards
Yeah not bad taffy, not bad at all

7 years 11 months ago #23553 by Barry Dixon
Coming not from a Bonsai background but from an aquarium one Zeolite is used a fair bit in filtering aquarium water but also in substrate because it has the ability to absorb ammonia and is a nice material for growing stem plants
Price wise the cheapest I have come across is pool supply shops it seems to be taking over from pool sand as used in filtration
Sorry to reactivate this one but it interested me :)

4 years 6 months ago #47160 by Steven
Loeng - do you stock Zeolite?

4 years 6 months ago #47161 by Leong Kwong
Sorry no. Can't get the right one.

4 years 6 months ago #47173 by chris white
Hi Chris here from Red dragon, had a quick read here. we stock 5-10mm diatomite (hope this is ok to say leong? edit if necessary)and use it extensively on pines, figs and bougs. these all like their water but dont like to be wet, diatomite answers this conundrum. To be honest i think THE standout feature of diatomite is the air porosity. I have also found that miccorhizae (symbiotic fungus very beneficial to pines health) explodes in this media. My pines hve never been healthier. I have customers that use it in pines mix 100% but dont advocate this. Conversely, I have found zeolite holds to much water. Hope this makes sense!

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds