Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Pots, both Training and Display.

Can I use this pot?

2 years 10 months ago #55452 by Farmer J

I was given this pot as a gift from a an elderly friend who has owned it for many years and no longer involved with bonsai. It is 260 mm x 180 mm x 40 mm. It is a magnificent handmade Japanese pot. Unfortunately, it has no drainage holes. Can I use this pot for bonsai in its present form? If not, how safe is it to drill drainage holes? Maybe use it for a viewing stone? This pot has never been used, but rather kept by a collector. I really would like to use it.
Any advice is appreciated.
Regards
John

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #55455 by JC
Hi FJ

You could use it as a suiban tray and do a penjing setting on a rock.

Heavens forbid if you have to drill holes in it then off to bunnings to get a core drill bit that has industrial diamonds set into it.

If you use the core bit then the slowest speed and have plenty of water on the hollow core drill.

Make sure that you just let the bit do the cutting and don't use to much pressure otherwise you will burn the diamonds.

Drill from the outside and make sure that you have it supported on a piece of wood touching the inside where the drill will break out.

The other thing that comes to mind is you could epoxy some hold down formed clips inside to tie the tree in using a swampy.

Hope some of this helps, someone may think of something else :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

JC

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Farmer J, Mark

2 years 10 months ago #55456 by Farmer J
Thanks JC. Plan B, drilling, will most likely end in tears:blush: Your Penjing suggestion and pictures look more like a plan. Now to find a rock...

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #55462 by JC
Hi FJ

I was hoping that I would put you off destroying a great pot, Rural NSW you should have no problems.

Not to mention the cost of the large core drill bit for the center drainage hole.

I have been using the 6mm core drill bits if I want to insert some more hole's to tie a tree in for a number of years in pots that don't have the holes or not in the right possie, they don't chip the pot as much on the exit if you back off the pressure and as usual let the tool do the work from the start.
www.bunnings.com.au/p-n-6mm-diamond-core-drill-bit_p5710032

I cant wait to see what you come up with :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Farmer J

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds