Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Tools, Sealants and Accessories.

Weeds Busted

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #19125 by Leong Kwong
This is not new in the market place, was introduced to bonsai use for at least three years.
Rod and I was talking about weeds and I told him of this product which was never heard of by him. Any way here it is and is safe as long as you don't spay it on the leaves.

Oxalis before spraying

After spraying - 15 minutes later at 18 degrees centigrade

Broad leaf weeds before spraying

After spraying - 10 minutes at 18 degrees centigrade

After spraying - 20 minutes at 18 degrees centigrade

Works even better when the temperature is at the mid to high 20s

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago #19126 by Peter Woosley
Not a very cost effective way of killing weeds though! I have used it before and gotta say i'm not a believer.
I prefer the old fashioned way, tweezers and hand pulling them. So long as you keep on top of them, no problem.

8 years 9 months ago #19128 by Leong Kwong
Well, I have to agreed to disagree here Pete. At $15 a can and weeds approximately 40-50 35-40cm pots (depanding on the intensity of weeds)in one hour, as to paying someone $20 an hour to weed 5-6 pots in an hour, for me that is very cost effective. Again that is in my case, but it might not for others in their condition.

8 years 9 months ago #19129 by Peter Woosley
Yeah.....commercially maybe a different case, if you have to pay someone to do it. Is this the only method of weeding you utilize in the nursery? I still say that once the weeds are gone, if you can keep on top of them and remove by hand before they grow to much you are in front in both time and cost. Just my opinion.

8 years 9 months ago #19132 by Rod Lovett
I think it is a fantastic idea , for me I think it would be money well spent. I find in some situations with weeds growing amongst the roots of my trees , that it is impossible to remove the oxalis . Also on some of my trees on rocks with the roots over the rocks , I find I cant get to those roots as well, top stuff .... I think it`s a great idea.
The time I spend weeding I can be doing something more creative.
Rod....

8 years 9 months ago #19135 by Graeme
While I enjoy weeding my trees, it gives me another "time" to check the trees over, I agree with you Rod. Sometimes the bloody Oxalis is a bit difficult to get rid of. I have in the past used Roundup and a cotton bud, but this stuff would be more convienient with no mixing required. Can also understand where you are coming from Leong, weeding a Nursery isn't one of the fun parts.

8 years 9 months ago #19137 by Leong Kwong
Well as I said Pete it works fine for me, 60% of my weeding is done this way. The small pots are done by the painfull way - by hand and is 10-15% of unproductive time. As the nursery industry calls it weeds are nursery man's curse. Oxalis and star weeds as Rod and Graeme said is no fun. But the end story is still each to its own, a lazy guy like me is the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry Pete I still have to agreed to diagreed with you in this one.

8 years 9 months ago #19140 by Peter Woosley
The product certainly has its use's, just not for regular weeding......at my place. :)

8 years 9 months ago #19157 by Shannon young
Dead weeds in a can suits me :woohoo:
Pete knows how productive my weeds are!

.....BONSAI ON THE BRAIN.....

6 years 4 months ago #38367 by Diana WELCH
I haven't seen this product but I use Aeroguard. Yep every house has it and I spray it on my fingers and rub the leaves of the weed. Works everytime and doesn't affect the bonsai. But it all comes down to what works for you.

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds