Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Tools, Sealants and Accessories.

Weeds Busted

6 years 8 months ago #38374 by David Willoughby
I know its an old thread but if this stuff kills Onion Weed, then I would invest in some just for the garden. I prefer to weed my trees in pots the old fashioned way with a pair of hands and tweezers but I don't have that many trees in comparison to most of you.

Cheers

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #38375 by Brian Bishop
Thanks for info Leong.. a great idea.
My weeding is always done with Roundup (handheld spray) kills everything except the tree just make sure you don't spray any leaves on your tree.
I use it because this product is non-selective meaning that it will kill anything that is green (leaves) but it won't take up through the root system and as soon as it comes in touch with the soil it becomes neutral.

Diana.. All new ideas are good, and thank you for telling us, but I don't think I'd have the patience/time to rub every weed leaf on my collection.(too many trees) but as you said "whatever floats your boat".

And Pete, having said all the above, I reckon weed pulling with the tweezers is a bit like watering the bonsai.it can be a bit therapeutic eh.
But only sometimes when I'm in the mood for it ,,which is not often.
Cheers.......Brian

6 years 8 months ago #38380 by Angus napier
I use both aero guard and roundup-but I use it with a paintbrush. I use the liquid aero guard.
Pulling them out works well but if you leave any trace they will just grow back. I leave the dead weeds to break down and add nutrients to the soil. This is the same for garden and bonsai pots alike.

6 years 8 months ago #38384 by greg
I have'nt heard of weed buster but sounds interesting, have'nt heard of using aeroguard either also sounds interesting, i don't use sprays always worried that the mist off the spray will get on the foliage, i use tweesers after watering for easier pull or roundup on paint brush to hard to get at weeds. round up has a new product in gel form keen to give it a go and see how it works.
Cheers Greg.

6 years 8 months ago #38400 by David Willoughby

greg wrote: round up has a new product in gel form keen to give it a go and see how it works.
Cheers Greg.

Hi Greg,

I got some of that today actually and will be testing it out tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. Mind you this is just for garden use as I do enjoy weeding my pot plants with tweezers, as Brian said it is soothing for me. Weird I know LOL.

Cheers

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: greg

6 years 8 months ago #38402 by Leong Kwong
Should not really get involved in this discussion. For the last month I spent at least two days a week weeding. I don't mind weeding because I can turn myself off and become mechanical and it really get my stress level to zero. Any way this product is almost out off the market, I am holding back for my own use. As I said I don't mind weeding but what happen when you got something like this, you can't get to the roots, all you can is pull the leaves off and in two weeks is back. My experience tells me I am not going to face this never ending battle. Here is three pics taken 5 minutes apart. Off course this is personal, I detest weeds growing in between roots.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #38403 by David Willoughby
Hi Leong,

Thats a fair call about not being able to get to the root of it, had a few that kept coming back up for that reason. Just a shame you cannot bonsai them lol.

I would gladly come and weed your trees mate as it would be an honor and fun for me, if you need a hand weeding them the offer is there, genuinely.

Cheers

David

6 years 8 months ago #38404 by Leong Kwong
Thank you muchly Dave and no thanks, Weeding is in my growing and propagation area. :)

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds