Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Discussion forum for Tools, Sealants and Accessories.

Tree Digger

8 years 3 weeks ago #28210 by Brian Inglis
Tree Digger

A number of people have asked me about my Tree Digger so here it is. Sorry about the rough sketch. A blacksmith friend built it for me.

The blade was forged from a piece of Volvo truck spring and brought to the same hardness as a mattock. It was welded to a 1m long 1" steel rod. The slide hammer which gives it its power is made of a steel pipe which slides easily over the shaft. I had a lump of steel welded on top to give it more oomph.

I find it much better than conventional tools because you don't have to cut off branches of trees you collect to get at the roots. All you do to cut off lateral roots is thread the blade down through the branches, slide over the slide hammer and bang it down. To cut the down growing roots, put the blade in under the tree at an angle and bang it in.

I have never had sharpen mine and everyone who doesn't have one, borrows mine.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 weeks ago #36635 by Taffy
Tht's a great root cutter Brian. I've got the leaf spring, got a length of crow bar for the handle, but can't find anybody that can forge the spring into a taper for me. If I had the use of a forge, I could hammer it out and temper it myself - did quite a bit of that when I was an apprentice way back in the '60s. At the moment, my root cutter consists of an axe head (with the top cut off) welded to the other piece of that crow bar. It's a bit thick, but if it's kept sharp, it does the job.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

7 years 3 weeks ago #36637 by Brian Inglis
Taffy
I was lucky enough to have a blacksmith mate. The axe or a mattock blade would work justas well
Cheers
Brian

7 years 3 weeks ago #36638 by Taffy
Does work Brian - but being an axe it doesn't hold an edge like a tempered blade would. It needs constant sharpening, but I guess I can live with that. I actually found a real Blacksmith here in MB, but unfortunately he was finishing his last week and shutting down altogether because of having contracted cancer :(

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

7 years 3 weeks ago #36644 by Brian Bishop
Brian, Taffy,
The photo I posted was made by the same blacksmith in Bundy.
I call it a slide chisel Works the same way that a starpicket slide hammer does.
They'll cut through rock and not blunt the blade.
Aint many blacksmiths around any more.
Cheers
Brian

7 years 3 weeks ago #36647 by Jason
Hi guys,

I love this idea. I definitely could of used this last weekend. I'll be starting to build my one soon, as my back cant handle too much shovel swinging.

Terrible news on the black smith too taffy.

Jason

Trees in pots are what I love :)
Trees in the ground are what I adore....

Tree-riffic!!!! :)

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds