Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× "Style Challenges" is a forum where you can post a picture of a tree challenging forum members to recommend a way to style and shape this tree.

Juniperus chinensis

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #47542 by Taffy
This Juni was grown from a seedling that I got as a seedling in 2010. It was put in a 4 inch black plastic and potted into this 8 inch pot in September 2014, wired and basic pruned. I also used the ‘inner-tube’ method to put a bit of a bend in it (1st pic). Now, I’m having some problems trying to decide how to shape it (next pic – front). This is really the only choice for the front as there is no natural back branch until you get to the apex.

The second branch on the right also has a branch going out to the rear, so is acting as a back branch (shown in last pic - blue arrow, red arrow is the side branch). I’m thinking that the lower two branches need to go, but that then shows that the next two branches are a bar branch situation which can be seen better in the 1st pic.

So Guys, any ideas on how to make a ‘silk purse’ out of this ‘sows ear’?

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #47544 by phung nguyen
Hi Taffy

I think you've already done a good job, branches've been in positions. Only thing is to tidy up the crown, ie make it small so the overall look tappering.

Phung

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds