Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× "Style Challenges" is a forum where you can post a picture of a tree challenging forum members to recommend a way to style and shape this tree.

Kotobuki Japanese Black Pine styling

2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #56575 by Mark
Hey Everyone - I just recently bought a bonsai nursery stock Kotobuki Japanese Black pine and wanted to ask if you have any styling suggestions.

At the moment it's looking a little leggy so I want to spend the next year trying to thicken the upper part of the trunk along with forcing back budding closer to the trunk. However once I've done that, what styling would be suitable for this tree?

Many Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #56579 by Anthony W
Nice little Shohin there Mark, bottom third (trunk) good start with fat and age, maybe something along these lines ?

Branch 4 and 5 would help to build the head

The following user(s) said Thank You: adam k

2 years 4 weeks ago #56580 by adam k
Beat me to it Anthony !!
I agree first left goes build as per Anthonys virt

2 years 4 weeks ago #56581 by Mark
Thanks for your drawing Anthony and for your feedback Adam! I had this visually planned similar to what you've suggested so I'll likely stick to this design unless there are other alternatives I could go with? I'm still a little new in the bonsai world so I struggle to visualize designs.

2 years 4 weeks ago #56582 by adam k
No problem Mark
The other thing that would help when asking for design options is to post pictures from left -right and back
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

2 years 4 weeks ago #56583 by Anthony W
Hi Mark

Adam brings up a good point, with front elevation views shown only, we can only give frontal interpretation, of course if you have branches out the back by all means use some for depth, if a bit bare at the back we can also bring excess side and front branches to the back to fill the voids.Also we can use a pad to cover the front and back meaning it is one big pad front to back if no alternate branches at the back are present...hope that makes sense.

Anthony
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam k

2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #56590 by JC
Hi Guys

It also helps if there is something in the picture to give a scale, such as a Green Bic Lighter :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or a Can of Brown and Fizzy that makes you Dizzy.

I must have missed this post somehow, but looking at the first picture either of the two forking branches above the cut could have been used to create something by wiring.

If that didn't pan out then by all means cut it where you have, but it will power on now that it isn't feeding all that structure above by redirecting the energy.

JC

2 years 4 weeks ago #56592 by Mark
Hi All - thanks for the suggestions. To give scale, I've placed a cup next to the tree along with the left, back and right profile.

I do have one branch that seems to be at the back of the tree so I'm not sure if I should use that one. If I brought it forward, I would have a bar branch which may not look great.

Anyway, here are a few extra photos:

2 years 4 weeks ago #56593 by Mark
Hi JC - in regards to the branches that are forking above the cut, I did think about using one of them as a new leader however they don't seem to be any less thicker than the rest of the trunk below it. I thought maybe the middle one as the others have suggested might be better as it's a little thinner providing some taper.

2 years 4 weeks ago #56594 by JC
Hi Mark

Ok that makes it better to see the size and a couple of side view's, goes a long way in making it clearer.

I might sit on the fence from here seeing that I was the last to chime in.

I wouldn't worry to much about bar branching seeing that is how they grow you can always bend one up and one down, once it pads up that can be hidden or obstructed from view with foliage.

JC

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds