Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Post pictures of trees for Species Identification.

Native need help ID please

3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 1 week ago #53170 by James Agius
Hi folks
Ran into this tree rock climbing today in South coast NSW on a beach cliff could anybody ID this species for me? They are incredible and in surplus along the coastal shores.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 weeks ago #53171 by Mark
Hi James. I can't remember there botanical name, I only know them as coastal rosemary because of there look only. There wind swept nature would be great for a bonsai. I have collected a few of these and had no success so far, still trying to figure out why.
Good luck
Slatz
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Agius

3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 1 week ago #53172 by James Agius

Mark wrote: Hi James. I can't remember there botanical name, I only know them as coastal rosemary because of there look only. There wind swept nature would be great for a bonsai. I have collected a few of these and had no success so far, still trying to figure out why.
Good luck
Slatz

Thanks Mark, yeah I collected the one in question.. it doesn't have a lot of roots which worries me. See how it goes, if we can figure it out there's potential for a lot of good material in future.

What have you tried Mate?

I soaked this is seasol for a few hours then into the hessian sack full of soil since I'm not at home yet.

Fingers crossed

3 years 2 weeks ago #53173 by Mark
I've only collected 5 altogether, I stop after the last one. 3 of them were from the coast line the other 2 were just garden material. All I can figure (only guessing) is they don't like root disturbance too much. After collection they seem to hang in there for awhile then slowly die off. Will be interesting if your one survives because I didn do the seasol thing, just potted them up and water.
Slatz

3 years 2 weeks ago #53182 by James Agius

Mark wrote: I've only collected 5 altogether, I stop after the last one. 3 of them were from the coast line the other 2 were just garden material. All I can figure (only guessing) is they don't like root disturbance too much. After collection they seem to hang in there for awhile then slowly die off. Will be interesting if your one survives because I didn do the seasol thing, just potted them up and water.
Slatz

Hmm well see how it goes then. Thanks for the info, I have a feeling they won't. I was reading articles on yamadori, did a few things wrong. Supposedly need a good amount of the plant's native soil and also shouldn't cut back the foliage because of the tree bio ability to make root hormones when the tree is out of balance.

Trial and error.. I think Craig mentioned ages ago that he collects cleros by cutting all the branches and keeping it in a tub of scoria and water for a week but memory is probably a bit off with that one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

2 years 5 months ago #54922 by Tim Ritchie
Sounds like Westringia fruiticosa. Coastal rosemary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds