Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Hot Days

2 years 5 months ago #53373 by john
Hi JC.
I will post a few up tomorrow in a new topic.

Regards John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #53377 by leong
Boy oh boy, is it hot!!!!!! Where I usually sit and work is 38 and in the sun a meter away is 45. Got the demister going, cool down a little not much because there is a light breeze of hot dry air. Have a strong feeling I might find some burnt leaves tomorrow. Got to get in early again and pour water on them. Already the over head watering is on half an hour per section which is usually only 15 minutes. Weather man said is going to be hotter tomorrow.:(
Yours sincerely.
Leong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, Liam

2 years 5 months ago #53381 by Paul Carey
Absolutely crazy Leong! I'm just north of the City and it was 44 here, it's not been that hot in my 14 years here. The heat caught me out I watered some trees yesterday and again this morning lightly but just after lunch a number were seriously wilting. I moved a lot into what shade there was and watered the soil. I've just come inside (9pm) after soaking everything thoroughly in preparation for tomorrow. I have burnt leaves on some maples, banksia, crabapple and camellia. Good luck everyone.

Paul C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, Anthony W

2 years 5 months ago #53384 by Peter Woosley
I have been watching this topic progress, it really interest's me. Mainly due to my limited understanding of the effects these extreme weather conditions have on our trees and hope to get a better grip on it.
I am in Southeast Queensland and I water by hand every day(once only) and do keep a very watchful eye on them for any reactions that could be put down to the conditions. All of my trees are in full sun all day with no protection whatsoever. I have a temp gauge in the garden that has reached 45 degrees (its in full direct sun) and so far i haven't noticed any detrimental signs at all.
My stock trees are mainly growing in the Grange growing solutions mix with scoria added to it only. The bulk of my potted trees are growing in a pumice/scoria/zeolite mix with finely cut sphagnum moss covering the surface. I fertilize fortnightly religiously, and also use pesticides proactively.
I cant pin-point the reason why i don't see the damaging effects but can only assume it is due to the mix's i use, the regular fertilizing and keeping pest's at bay. The sphagnum over the surface of the pot is also contributing (maybe largely) to the outcome i believe.
One thing that i have noticed is that trees that are more sparsely foliated dont appear to be as vigorous or handle the conditions quite as well as their densely foliated buddies. This is probably just a more natural thing rather then due to the climatic conditions however.

Just thought i would put experience's dealing with these conditions out there for your thoughts and consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Anthony W

2 years 5 months ago #53393 by leong
The temperature showing on the thermometer do played a part of trees with leave burn. But, only a very small part. Local condition plays the biggest part. I spent nearly from 6.30am to 6.30pm 5 days a week in our little nursery. We have over head watering system where we can adjust the watering time to the local conditions, on top, we hand water. So is not insufficient or lack of water that causes the burnt. Of course delicate jap maple leaves with burn with heat. But the other burnt leaves like figs is due to young new leaves from the summer defoliation. The main cause is the hot dry wind, these wind are like air from the hot oven. It does not matter how good your growing medium is in retaining water or how well you water your tree it will just burn regardless. Yesterday we just have this hot oven wind, I was sitting 5-6 meters away from the main fig and there is nothing I can do to stop my main fig and couple others from suffering burnt leaves even with the demister going full trottle. These few figs just so happen to be sitting in the wind tunnel where these hot dry wind blow. This time it is minor, I remember 10 years ago on Christmas day the whole tree got burnt due to the hot dry oven wind. Here are couple pictures to show after yesterday's hot dry oven wind.
Thank you.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, Matthew Allam

2 years 5 months ago #53395 by JC
Hi Leong

I have to agree totally with you, I am lucky up here on the mid north coast as it is the same heat that we are experiencing.

But we have a lot of humidity in the atmosphere that doesn't suck out the moisture like down there.

Then again today will be a test as it is supposed to get over 40deg's.

JC

2 years 5 months ago #53396 by JC
Hi Lindsay

Just checking how you are traveling out at Cessnock, hopefully no losses ?

As well as all the other members??

JC

2 years 5 months ago #53401 by Mr Badhair
Hi JC
We have just had 3 days of the hottest weather in quite a while, I'm not sure where they take the official temperatures (as per the TV weather forecasts) but some days I suspect it must be in a pub cellar somewhere. My temperature gauge has hit 47o for the last 3 days and the humidity has been unbearable. I only saw the official rating yesterday (or it may have been Friday) and it was 46o and supposed to be the hottest day recorded in Cessnock, they either have short memories or haven't been taking official readings for any extended number of years, I've experienced plenty of hotter days than the last few.
I think the opinions pointing more to the hot winds than actual temperatures may be on the right track, I have lost about 6 trees this summer and they were all on days with the scorching hot westerly winds that we get up here, the extreme temperatures of the last few days have not bothered the plants too much as there hasn't been a breath of wind around. I hand water once a day unless there has been extreme humidity when I will give a second light watering during summer and it works OK for me. It is an interesting topic and we all have our theories and experiences but I don't think there is one simple answer or solution for all when it comes to the weather!
Cheers mate
Lindsay
The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, JC

2 years 5 months ago #53402 by Farmer J
Hi JC and Badhair,
Right there with you on temperature readings
On Saturday afternoon, the thermometer was under cover on the verandah at home. The wind was like a blast furnace. It measured 56.5 deg C. I live in rural NSW. Look what it did to some of my collection . Burnt a juniper and half a Japanese maple forest, and both plants were under shelter. Guess I'll leave them in my version of Leong's famous "dead corner".
Still, it could have been worse for me as a number of my farming friends have lost so much in the fires.
Regards
John

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, JC

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds