Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Juniper help

9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #59497 by Sandra
I have been given a very old and large juniper squamata. It has some Browning on the older leaves. But it seems otherwise healthy. However, the soil is very damp and is covered with a layer of moss that has gone almost slime-like.

I think that it needs repotting and the moss removed, but I am wondering that with the heat in Canberra, the timing is bad. I have it in morning sun and am being careful with watering - rain can't be avoided though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I have attached a picture of the tree and a closer one of the soil/moss surface

Sandra

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 1 week ago #59498 by Rod Murray
Hi Sandra,
Clean the moss off, clear out the dead roots and repot. Morning sun is good, you can’t avoid the heat, but you can put it the shade. Most important seek out your local club. They will be able give you good advice.
Cheers RodM

Thank you

9 months 1 week ago #59499 by JC
Hi Sandra

You can do as Rod has advised or if you like you can simply slip pot it into a larger pot with proper bonsai growing media, till early spring if you are not sure.

There may be someone at the Arboretum that could help as well Address: Forest Dr, Molonglo Valley ACT 2611
Phone: (02) 6207 8484
www.nationalarboretum.act.gov.au/living-collection/bonsai

Canberra Bonsai Society
General enquiries : - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

JC

9 months 1 week ago #59500 by Sandra
Thanks Rod - I have joined the CBS, but the next meeting isn't until the beginning of March. I have posted a similar message on their site, but no response as yet, so I really appreciate your help.

9 months 1 week ago #59501 by Sandra
Thanks JC - I did my 6 week beginners course at the Arboretum, so do have those contacts already. I like your suggestion though - thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

9 months 1 week ago #59502 by JC
Hi Sandra

I sent you a PM.

JC

9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #59504 by Sandra
JC - did you send a Facebook PM? If so, I haven't got it as yet. If there's a way to get PMs through this forum site, I am not sure how to access them.

I spent a couple of hours repotting the tree this afternoon, including trimming all of the brown pieces of the tree. It is out in a light rain shower now and looking much happier with the moss gone and a less heavy soil added. Thanks for the advice from the forum!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #59506 by JC
Hi Sandra

When you log in, just above the Bonsai Class Banner to the left you will see a New Message flashing just click on it.

If you want to send PM's on the forum at the bottom of each Avatar there is a word More its there you will see that you can send a PM from.

JC

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds