Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

juniperus squamata prostrata care and placement

3 months 1 week ago #60224 by Kent Dempsey
Hi all,

Total n00b to the world of bonsai after admiring for many years from afar.

I just picked up an 8-year old Juniperus squamata prostrata (which I'll refer to as JSP), already wired obviously in a very appealing way so I'm not looking at that aspect of things yet, but moreso have some questions about general care and placement, and I've found some extremely varied information online, much of which is contradictory or mutually exclusive, even from the same parts of the world and about the same species. I'll pop a (?) after any info I'd appreciate folk here clarifying if possible.

We're out in Camden and get great bright sun through our backyard till late afternoon when the sun's setting on the other side of the house (which faces southwest). I've read that JSP like 4-6 hours of full sun, and ideally some afternoon shade. (?)

Whilst I could certainly place the JSP out on a stand etc, I worry about the fact the temps can drop below freezing at night (though I saw info online that you don't need to worry about overwintering them inside unless it drops below -10 degrees (?) and I also worry whether it would suffer in heavy rain (?).

I have a greenhouse from Bunnings (about 2x4m) out in the backyard, which gets that same full sun until it's setting, from which the 'weatherproof' plastic cover crumbled and fell apart from the sun exposure, so I've re-covered it with shadecloth 1 or 2 sheets thick. Would the JSP be happy in there? I worry then about it not getting enough light, as it's then semi-shaded all day.

Now, with placement out of the way, over to care. I've read that they'd rather be neglected than fussed over, inasmuch as it's better to let them dry out before watering again, than overwatering which can lead to root-rot (?). Similar, I read they don't like being repotted too often (?), so don't plan on re-potting any time soon; I read every 3-5 years until 10 years of age, then every 10 years after that (?).

Have read up plenty on pinching off new shoots in spring etc so not too worried about that yet.

I've seen some info say to water every other day in winter (?) and another said to stop watering them completely during winter to encourage dormancy, then start watering again when the growth season begins (?).

With so much contradictory info out there, I definitely thought it'd be better to post here than take it off in some potentially fatal direction.

Much appreciated folks :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 6 days ago #60226 by JC
Hi Kent

First of all, welcome to the forum and looking for info if you can it is better if you could load up a photo simply because you can add photos onto this thread that you have created of its journey so to speak.

I have mine all in full sun all day, even the heat that we had last summer didnt bother them ( I just did extra watering to keep the pot cool and the tree moist), also if you have good drainage to facilitate good airflow as well then rain after watering shouldn't bother them.

I'm sure some of the other members will chime in and add more informed information for you, especially about the frost as I am on the Mid North Coast we haven't had a frost for a couple of seasons.

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kent Dempsey

3 months 5 days ago #60227 by JC
Hi Kent

Just another quick question, is it in a bonsai pot and do you know if it has been re-potted in the eight years?

JC

3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #60231 by Kent Dempsey
Hi all,

Here’s a shot from this morning; as you can see it’s in a bonsai pot (with a drainage hole on the bottom) but I’m unsure when it would have been repotted - it’s from this nursery so the staff may know, if there’s a schedule to it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #60232 by JC
Hi Kent

Thanks that make it better to give advice all around.

If you get a chopstick or a Phillips Head Screwdriver and see how much resistance there is to get it to the bottom of the pot that will tell you if it is pot bound and also it will help with the drainage if it is.

If it goes in easy to the bottom no problems, but if it is tough to get it to the bottom I would poke into the root ball in a few spots around nearer the edge of the pot to help drainage.

When you did say this nursery do you mean bonsai south?

JC

3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #60234 by Kent Dempsey
Thanks so much! Yes from Bonsai South.

Little to no resistance in the pot around the edges and even closer in, so hopefully it’s got plenty of room to grow.

3 months 5 days ago #60235 by Leong Kwong
Hi Kent, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. I am Leong the operator of Bonsai South. May I ask a few questions, did you purchase it from us or was given as a present? If you do purchase from us a 4 page instruction should have come with it. If not you can always get one from us in the nursery. Just in short in terms of care. It must be kept out door in full sun but away from surfaces that radiates and reflect heat. ie glass, tile and brick. It must be kept moist at all time and prefer full sun. Can be displayed in door but only 2-3 days at a time and spend more time out door. Fertilize regularly but not in winter. Frost is not an issue, under minus condition the needles will turn purple in colour. I hope this help.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #60236 by Kent Dempsey
Thanks so much Leong. I purchased it myself as a gift for my wife, but misplaced the booklet, will drop in and collect another at some point (then of course the other one will turn up ha), but your post and JC’s pretty much answer all I need, thank you! With what you’ve confirmed I think I have a perfect spot for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, JC

3 months 4 days ago #60238 by JC
Hi Kent

I have some info I'll attach for you to have a read of that I downloaded for the Hastings Bonsai Group.

BTW you can copy and past it if you like as well.

JC

File Attachment:

File Name: JuniperSpe...ide1.pdf
File Size:88 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: JuniperSpe...ide2.pdf
File Size:169 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, Anthony W, Kent Dempsey

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds