Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Strictly for critiquing bonsai.

Ficus rubiginosa.

9 years 1 month ago #16637 by Leong Kwong
Some think the pot is too small some think the pot is the wrong colour etc etc. What is you opinion???

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago #16638 by dean sear
hi the pot is a bit small and i would have gone with a oval glazed pot which to me would suit the tree alot better and also allow it to spread roots a bit more and also it has a nice tapper to it but i also think the top is to rounded my opinion and my thought
cheers dean

a simple question or hard should at least be answered or attempted to be solved
cheers dean

9 years 1 month ago #16639 by Ashley Field
Hi Leong, I do not think that it is too small and don't have a problem with the colour. It is a bit redder than I am used to - but then some Ficus rubiginosa show a lot of rusty red hairs on their leaves or red in the stipules. The pot colour would enhance these. I think that the rectangle and hard lines suit the solid upright tree.

It is hard for me to tell from the photograph but it looks like there is one large root growing across the front of this tree. Leong have you ever considered any methods by which you may be able to visually break that area up to look more like a buttress? I can do it in photoshop - must be able to work out some way to do it on the real thing.

cheers
Ash

9 years 1 month ago #16643 by Shannon young
Leong I think it has a few issue's.
1. The bar branching is distracting to the flow of the tree.
2. The pot is a little small
3. And the Nebari as Ash said.

.....BONSAI ON THE BRAIN.....

9 years 1 month ago #16646 by Peter Woosley
I find the naked look i bit distracting because of the bar branches also, it's the first thing that i noticed. The pot is okay in size but could be deeper. There appears to be some reverse taper issue just below the primary branch which doesn't particularly bother me but is noticeable. I cant really make out what is happening at the base by the picture but it certainly is an impressive base/trunk.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #16654 by Rod Lovett
Hey leong I don`t really have any great problems with it , I think the pot maybe a little wider. I also think , I would extend some areas of foliage a little. Other I think it is a nice solid tree , I like it. Oh I also meant to say I don`t have a problem with the bar branch either ,it may be a benefit to grow a front branch in the area these branches leave the trunk. Doing this will help disguise them a little, if they were a real problem.

I have marked the areas I would change..

Cheers Rod..

9 years 1 month ago #16656 by Leong Kwong
This pic is 4 years old, Haven't done any work to it since I wrote the fig book. All the figs are getting some attention at the moment.

9 years 1 month ago #16681 by dean sear
i would go a bigger pot leong from the look of it after 4 years it seems to be out of proportion with all the foliage on in that pot so in my opinion a bigger pot would look alot better
cheers dean

a simple question or hard should at least be answered or attempted to be solved
cheers dean

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds