Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× Strictly for critiquing bonsai.

Pinus Radiata - 1

7 years 11 months ago #27004 by eddie
I saw first radiata yesterday and it's looks much better than picture. And pot is alright I guess flash shows much shine in this picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #27522 by Leong Kwong
Yes, the pot is yak, got it potted today, just potted no trimming no nothing, they can come later. What is your comments now, please give me the good the bad and the ugly.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

7 years 11 months ago #27525 by dean sear
hi leong
i like it much more now the pot is changed, and really the only bad is the needles not being trimmed as you stated
so over all very nice
cheers dean

a simple question or hard should at least be answered or attempted to be solved
cheers dean

7 years 11 months ago #27526 by Shane Martin
Hi Leong
I to would like to see more of the trunk line, as currently it looks like the bottom half of the tree is made up of bar branching, which I've always been told is a no no. But then what do I know about pines :) Always easy to be critical... Not always so easy to grow. Lets not forget who wrote the book on growing pines mate.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #27528 by Leong Kwong
Shane lots of things have changed since when I first learn to style bonsai back in the early 70's. All those man made rules is long gone down the ..... These days the first branch, second branch and back branch if you can achieve is great, if not bar branch, back branch first or what ever it is as long as it looks visually pleasing is fine. In Taiwan some even have cross over branches, in Oz it would be no no.
I can assure you if you see what Noelander will be doing in the coming demo and the demo Ryan will be doing you will understand what I am going on about. If you have a chance watch their video in the forum and you willunderstand.
Thank you very much Shane what you said is absolutely correct, but rules, well man make them, and I will take it as a guide, and go for the free expression style. :) :)
I know you are from the old mould like me but this is 2012 not 1970's my friend. :) :)
Cheers.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

P/S here is one with branches all over the place

This message has an attachment image.

7 years 11 months ago #27535 by David Willoughby
Its a beautiful tree and what you have done with it since it came into your possession is amazing. Just another of your trees to admire and be inspired by Leong.

Is there any reason behind keeping it in a detailed pot over a plain pot ? Just curious thats all.

Cheers

David

7 years 11 months ago #27540 by Leong Kwong
David with all the pots I have, do you think I can find one the right size?? No, so I have to use what I got. Is funny you ask why I use a detailed pot, well same old story my friend, is rules again by the purist, the funny thing is, if Mr. Kimura use a glazed pot for pines no one would say a word but accept it. Such is life and such is human nature. Really it dosen't bother me either way, is in my yard, I have to look at it everyday and is pleasing to the eyes, the tree looks ok, and I am a happy vegimite with the tree.
But, you raise a great point and I appreiate it very much, that is what this forum is all about learning from each other by questioning and commenting. Thank you very very much.
Yours sincerely.
Leong

7 years 11 months ago #27541 by Shane Martin
I think you explained that perfectly Leong.... I see where you're coming from completely, and the pic of the tree above is a fine example of branches everywhere and traditionally unconventional, but it looks amazingly natural and totally correct in every sense of the word. Thanks for helping me look outside the box my friend.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #27542 by David Willoughby
Thanks Leong for explaining, hey I like it as it isn't what you normally see. Pots like that to me give the impression of a special tree that wouldn't look out of place at a temple (if you get me). It might not of been my No 1 choice of pot as well, but if everyone did the same things would be rather boring.

Cheers

David

EDIT: It reminds me of something that Bruce Lee once said, "Running water nevers goes stale, you gotta keep on flowing."

Thats such a profound statement that.

7 years 11 months ago #27579 by Leong Kwong
Shane my friend here are couple of fantastic bonsais that don't follow any purist idea of what it should be.
Yours sincerely.
Leong.

This message has attachments images.

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds