Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× The Techniques section is a moderated section of the forum to discuss various bonsai techniques.

All posts to this section must be approved by a moderator first.

Invisible Grafting (Maybe)!!!

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #49882 by Ray Mackaway
Hi Everyone,
I have been playing around with this idea in my head for some time now. I wanted to try an experiment that may produce a fairly invisible graft. Being this time of year I chose to use Figs. For those who have anything to do with Little Ruby Figs, will know that they are slower growing than the Port Jackson Fig. The Little Ruby originally came from a Port Jackson Fig and was discovered by Noel Summerell in 1987. Taking these factors into consideration I have decided to graft a Little Ruby into Port Jackson root stock. The following will show how I've gone about this and I will keep the thread updated with whatever results come from this experiment.

This is the root stock tree and tools for doing the job.

The root stock tree and the Little Ruby chosen for the job.

At this stage of the process, I'm not worried about how the roots look on the root stock tree. If all goes to plan I will create a new root system by doing a ground layer where the red line is indicated.

A decision now has to be made as to where to cut the root stock tree. I will make the cut indicated by the red line. After making the decision as to where to cut I measured the diameter of the tree where the cut will take place. I then chose the Little Ruby that has the same diameter at the base of the tree where it will be shaped to fit into the root stock tree.

I cut the excess foliage off the top of the tree and then made the final cut with a Knob cutter. I made the cut in the direction that I wanted the lips of the cut.

I used the black handle knife to make the cuts to form the V section. Note: The knife must be razor sharp. It is most important not to damage the tissue in the cambium layer. Don't try to do the cut in one go. Make several cuts to form the V. The last cut should be fairly thin to protect the cambium.

When doing Figs, make sure you always have a spray bottle on hand. After cutting, spray the sap with water to prevent it from staining the trunk. Place some folded paper towel over the cut and saturate it with water. This will prevent the cut from drying out whilst preparing the other tree.

Remove the Little Ruby from it's pot and wash off all soil.

Remove some of the foliage. Now start to cut the V shape onto the bottom of the trunk to form a wedge. Do this in thin cuts until it fits into the V of the root stock tree. With some paper towel mop up any water before finally fitting the two trees together.

The Little Ruby will most probably not line the cambium up on both sided of the root stock tree. Make sure that you line up one side perfectly. This allows the cambium of both trees to take. The Grafting Tape needs to be bound quite tightly. I squeeze the union together as I am wrapping to make sure the two trees are bound as tight as you can. Use a few layers of Grafting tape to get a strong bond.

After applying the Grafting Tape I seal over the top with Kiyonal Bonsai Tree Cut Healing Grafting Sealer. This will help to seal the tape and prevent water entering the graft.

Finished. Time will tell what the results will be.

I placed the tree in my shade house. After the paste has hardened I will feed it with Seasol, watering over the foliage as well as the soil.

Regards Ray

PS I have now added some Seamungus onto the soil and watered in with Seasol. I foliage fed the tree as I watered in the Seasol.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, JC, Rod Lovett, Farmer J, ben, Mark, Anthony R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #49883 by Jerry Meislik
Nice work Ray. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Jerry

4 years 7 months ago #49885 by adam k
???

4 years 7 months ago #49897 by Jerry Meislik
It looks like the post is now complete. Any others having trouble seeing it?

4 years 6 months ago #50238 by Ray Mackaway
Hi Folks,
An update on how the Fig is taking. I am very pleased with the results thus far. There are new buds popping, even on the bare branches.

Regards Ray

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, JC, Rod Whiting, Mark

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #53681 by Ray Mackaway
Hi folks,
An update of the figs. I have removed the tape to see what the grafts look like and then did a ground layer on both trees. I've put the photos up for each tree separately because I have had an accident with one of the trees.

TREE 1

The foliage on the Little Ruby has grown quite well.

Grafting tape removed. The graft is looking okay. It will obviously take another year or two to blend in better.

The red line indicates where the ground layer was placed.

The tree on the left is TREE 1. This ground layer went quite well.

See next post

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong

3 years 6 months ago #53682 by Ray Mackaway
Continuing from last post.

TREE 2

The foliage on the Little Ruby has grown quite well.

Grafting tape removed. The graft is looking okay. It will obviously take another year or two to blend in better.

The red line indicates where the ground layer was placed.

The tree on the right is TREE 2. Alas, I had an accident when I was ring barking the tree
ready for the ground layer. I snapped the roots system off the bottom of the tree.
I have treated this layer the same way as I would do a ground layer.
I put hormone on the bottom and encapsulated the base of the tree
in a Sphagnum moss/muck mix.
I then planted the tree into the bonsai mix and padded it down firmly.
I removed some of the foliage to take some stress off the capacity for
the tree to feed the foliage.
I'll have to wait and see if it survives.

Regards Ray

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, JC, Anthony W, Mark

3 years 6 months ago #53699 by Jerry Meislik
Very interesting to follow your work. Keep us posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Mackaway

3 years 5 months ago #53871 by Tim Ritchie
Great work Ray, I've often pondered grafting Little Ruby on to Port Jackson, I wonder if you'll see increased growth rate? Keep us posted!

Cheers
Tim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Mackaway

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds