Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Ficus name doubt

8 years 7 months ago #19938 by Graeme
In a couple of posts on here a bit has been said about the names of Ficus and the doubts that surround those names. When in Darwin I was given several cuttings of a fig by the Curator of the Darwin Botanical Gardens. The fig in question was growing in a large pot in the Orchid House. It was a low growing prostrate plant with rather long spreading branches, which were probably rather thin considering the length of them, but then container growing may have had some effect there. The leaves were similar to Green Island fig, but more rounded without the little tip on them Green Island has. Leaves were, however thick and fleshy like the Green Island. The name given to me (and also posted with the plant in the Gardens) was Ficus Okinawakenowensis and was supposed to have been from the Japanese Island of Okinawa. I have tried several times to find this Fig in publications, but to no avail. Has anyone else ever heard of this particular Ficus?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #19941 by Jerry Meislik
Graeme,
No I have not heard the name. Searching the web for something like Ficus okinawa reveals nothing much relevant, suggesting that this is just a common name given to a Ficus from Okinawa.
As always finding accurate names for our Ficus is a never ending chore.
My guess is that you have some cultivar of Ficus microcarpa. Post a shot of the leaves and plant to give us a better idea.
Just my best guess.
Jerry

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19945 by Graeme
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the responce. I tend to think maybe you are right also. As I said I haven't been able to locate any reference to this particular cultivar. The tree did display a couple of differences to other Microcarp's I had at the time, but these may have been environment differences. I believe the shrub in the Bot' Gardens was from material originally collected in Japan (our Curator was a very avid 'collector')so not sure if this could be fact or not. As I said the Orka seemed to be a lower growing more speading plant than the other Microcarps I had. The leaf was also slightly different as well. I don't have any photo's of the tree showing enough detail of the leaf, but have asked someone else if they have, so shall wait and see if one is available.

Word just in; Sorry no photo available showing the leaf. If someone is going to Darwin, please could you go and get a photo for me - if the tree is still there. :(

8 years 7 months ago #19947 by Jerry Meislik
Graeme another possibility is to use a flatbed scanner to take an image of a leaf. They do a great job of getting superb detail in the leaf, often much better than a picture.
Jerry

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds