Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Fusing Ficus trunks.

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19956 by Peter Woosley
This is the method i mentioned in the "Fusing maple whips" topic. For some reason i dont seem to have a picture of this when i started it so i will have to explain it.
It was started in early 2008 as 6 fig whips at about the size of a pencil thickness and 30cm or so tall. They were simply potted up with no binding on them at all, inside some 90mm stormwater pipe. The first section of pipe (a 90 degree bend) was put over them at the start. As they grew i simply put more bends onto the first section of pipe used. This continued untill the trees were about 80cm tall and the pipes stopped at about 50 cm or so. I cut the pipes off them in 2010. The results were not as good as anticipated, although there was some movement in them it was soon lost as the quickly straightened out after the pipe was removed. If i was to do this again, i think i would leave them in there untill they busted there own way out. They have fused very well and created a pretty interesting trunk so maybe it will become something but the jury is out at this stage.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19957 by Leong Kwong
Yep Pete, I can see what is going on. From what I have seen and experienced the fig that you start with should be skinny, when they fused togather, one should cut at an angle at the narrowest area at the apex and then create a new leader, only in this way you will get taper. What you have is a fat trunk without much taper. Well back to the drawing board my friend.:( :( :(

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19961 by Taffy
Makes a lot of sense - good tip Leong.
:P

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

8 years 7 months ago #19981 by Jerry Meislik
Peter,
Nice fusion. Of course not all trees have to have strong curves or do they?
You might still be able to get some taper by removing one trunk from the lowest portion, two more trunks from the middle, and leave only one trunk at the apex.
Jerry

8 years 7 months ago #19993 by Peter Woosley
Good advice Jerry and Leong. I will take a look at this one in late spring/early summer and see what can be done to push it towards having a future as a bonsai. Thanks Gents.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds