Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Ficus Coronata - sandpaper fig

6 days 5 hours ago - 6 days 4 hours ago #60237 by Anthony W
Hi Steve thanks for your response and thank you for posting your very nice tree and observations.

As for scars I think in pot culture their there for life unfortunately, with this tree I think the small to larger scars which are not really that big and 3 to 5 years old and they haven't even began to roll...hmmm

Handling the leaves constantly no itch for me.

With grafting can not help you there with this species, yet to try, yes lack of roll could be a problem?

Back budding does seem very random and really only on branches not the main trunk, but in saying that I want to try something again, probably a fluke but could be something....I wanted some back budding on the first tree posted (above) on the bottom two branches so I defoliated the whole tree except these two branches only the terminal buds were removed the two branches then gave me some more chances with new buds,...... many questions there.....my intension was to drive more power there with the existing left over growth, now was this just a fluke..will try this again on another area or piece next season.

Overall a very interesting, pretty and intriguing species, we will persist with many unanswered questions?

Here is the raw piece and direction, along way to go with it but different style to the above

Scars and fruit

Direction?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 days 20 hours ago #60241 by Steve Reeve
Hi John, Jerry& Anthony,
Sorry for not responding earlier but have been enjoying a feast of bonsai down in Melbourne with the AABC convention. Ryan Neil and Hugh Grant did awesome jobs, as did the other presenters. Full kudos to the Victorian Native bonsai club - they ran what I think must be one of the best exhibitions ever run in Australia. and the trees........................unbelievable......

Anyway, back to the thread. ...

Yes John, the pot I used is inappropriate - used more for its size than looks.
In terms of sandpaper species, I believe there were five identified about 5 - 10 years ago. 2 were discounted as they were not genetically linked and therefore there are the three species you noted.The hard one for me to get was Opposita.

Regards
steve

3 days 10 hours ago #60246 by JC
Hi Steve

Crikey I liked the pot, thought that it was very rustic.

But if you are not happy with it then :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

JC

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds