Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

port Jackson fig help required

2 weeks 1 day ago #60909 by GORDON ALLERTON
Hi, I was lucky enough to inherit a 40 year old Port Jackson Fig. It has not been touched for approx 8 years and is very crowded with branches and long, endy growth. It is also in a pot that has no area left and has a 25mm tap root in the base. Wondering what would be a good way to look after it and get some professional advice. Help please.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 19 hours ago - 2 weeks 4 hours ago #60910 by JC
Hi Gordon

Whereabouts do you live as Australia NSW, it will help as far as the correct info regarding pruning, repotting timing.?

JC

1 week 6 days ago #60919 by GORDON ALLERTON
Lake Macquarie, NSW

1 week 6 days ago #60920 by JC
Hi Gordon

That's a great area, have you considered in joining a club there is the Central Coast Bonsai Club www.centralcoastbonsai.org.au/

They have a lot of very talented super friendly members that could assist you, we have one of their demonstrators Andrew Edge visiting us this morning who is a visiting tutor with the Australian Associated Bonsai Clubs of Aust.

Now having got that off my chest, I think that you would be best to contact them as it is a nice looking fig and has plenty of potentials.

We are heading into the perfect time of the year to work on figs as in repotting, root pruning etc.

It looks as though it is a little unhealthy if you wanted you could slip pot it into a larger plastic pot with a bonsai growing media (Grange Custom) if you can get it up near you and feed it up to bring it back to health and that way after a good root prune and all the tall leggy branches removed it will bud back down lower into a majestic ficus bonsai in a couple of seasons.

Oh, I forgot to ask have you been doing bonsai for a while??

JC

1 week 3 days ago #60949 by GORDON ALLERTON
Only started last spring. Have about 30 young trees to work on as well as the fig. Came down to your nursery in September and purchased some tools, a flowering apricot and C Hines Elm. Had a good talk to Sue. I think I will be a regular visitor and customer. Beautiful trees on display. I am going to get in touch with the local Bonsai Club and sign up. I will also be keen to enroll in your lessons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds