Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Age of a wisteria?

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #53469 by James Agius
Does anybody know how to tell how old a wisteria is?
I've recently picked up this wisteria from a friend, I'm estimating 70 years old.. but I don't really know. Is anyone better educated on these? The trunk is 23cm wide

Here is the tree

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #53481 by Matthew Allam
The only way with ground grown is to know the history, size & all other indicators are too variable.
I have one with a trunk about that size that I know from history is over 100yrs, a sucker from it was planted on a friend's front fence & in just 7yrs is almost as big in the trunk!

Watch for rotting from all the big chops, nothing prevents it, only conceals the surface so you don't know until the whole thing has gone to mush

3 years 6 months ago #53482 by James Agius

Matthew Allam wrote: The only way with ground grown is to know the history, size & all other indicators are too variable.
I have one with a trunk about that size that I know from history is over 100yrs, a sucker from it was planted on a friend's front fence & in just 7yrs is almost as big in the trunk!

Watch for rotting from all the big chops, nothing prevents it, only conceals the surface so you don't know until the whole thing has gone to mush

Thanks so much Matthew.
I'll look into the history then. That's crazy fast growth for a 7 y wisteria.

I noticed about 20% of the top half is rotting since it died back after a potting failure.. is it best to cut all of it off and use cut paste on all of the wounds?

3 years 6 months ago #53483 by Matthew Allam
Skip the cut paste and avoid cutting further into live wood, allow to grow strongly each year removing excess growth & soft wood during winter, it can take 5yrs or more for your trunk to really stabilise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Agius

3 years 6 months ago #53485 by James Agius
Alright will do, thanks for the advice

3 years 6 months ago #53488 by JC
Hi Matthew

You could also leave the top as is and carve it and seal it with Earls Wood Hardener you can get it from the big green shed.
JC

3 years 6 months ago #53492 by Matthew Allam
Hi JC,
Experience has taught me that no matter how Wisteria deadwood is 'preserved' it rots from the inside out, lime sulphur, wood hardeners etc simply hide what is going on in the heartwood. A bit like treated pine sleepers, look great until you put your boot on it & crumble...
Matthew
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds