Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Metasequoia glytostrobiodes..... Dawn Redwood

2 years 9 months ago #53855 by Tim Ritchie
Hi all,
A search of this forum has no mention of Metasequoia, does anyone have or seen one recently?
I came by 2 very advanced trees last week in my job as a landscape horticulturist.
Rescued from a 7 million dollar development on a very exposed headland on the south coast (what were they thinking).
The trees a very unwell with about 1 - 2% foliage, I gingerly potted them into large containers and they're on a diet of super thrive. Any other suggestions as to their care regime? They have new growth appearing randomly and buds appearing! I guess their happy just to be out of the salt laden wind. (Aero salt tolerance - LOW)
Hopefully i can restore enough vigour before dormancy as they're deciduous

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #53860 by Mark
Hi Tim.
Type in swamp cypress instead and an abundance of photos should come up, I've been on this forum for a few years now and never seen anyone call them that. The foliage looks like swamp cypress, I could be wrong..?
Thanks for sharing.
Slatz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Ritchie

2 years 9 months ago #53861 by Taffy
They're two different species Mark. Swamp cypress: Taxodium distichum. Dawn redwood: Metasequoia gliptostroboides. They look identical but a slight difference in the bark. From wikipedia: It is native to Lichuan county in the Hubei province of China. The tree faces considerable risks of extinction in its wild range due to deforestation,

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

2 years 9 months ago #53863 by JC
Hi Tim

I was having a look on the net for you as I have a lot of links that I have researched for our club.

I mainly play with the swampy's as they can go without water and as tough as, it seems as though all are saying if the Dawn Redwoods dry out a little they are toast.

I know that the quickest way of telling them apart is with the leaf formation the Swamp Cyprus has an alternating leaf formation and on the Dawn Redwoods (Metasequoia glyptostrobides) the leaves are in line with each other or paired if you like.

Here are a couple of links to have a read through.

www.bonsaitoolchest.com/v/vspfiles/caresheets/dawn-redwood.pdf

This is a good one for a number of varieties, scroll down to the bottom of the page the one you are looking for is in the list.

www.nurserytreewholesalers.com/pages/proper-bonsai-care

Hope this helps you out.

JC

2 years 9 months ago #53864 by Tim Ritchie
Thanks JC,

2 years 9 months ago #53865 by Tim Ritchie
Thanks Taffy,
I'm sure it's a metasequoia, opposite leaves and no flaring at the base of the trunk

2 years 9 months ago #53867 by adam k
I have 3 redwoods in a grow bed but none as bonsai yet
Mine are metasequoia sempervirens

2 years 9 months ago #53869 by Tim Ritchie
Hi, so you've got Giant Californian Red Woods. Both times I've been to the states I go and see the biggest tree in the world. Truly amazing sight to behold. I'll post some pics later. I've also got some seed I may sow next spring.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds