Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Can anyone help

2 years 3 months ago #55212 by Grahame
Hi guys
My names watto im new to the forum i was wondering if anyone can tell me whats wrong or what have i done to this trident maple
I have never seen this on leaves before
Or maybe ive had a sheltered life
Thank you

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 3 months ago #55223 by Bob R
H Watto, welcome.
Your problem looks similar to a TM that I have though mine shows up on young leaves so they don't get to grow at all. I'm new to maples but have a few that are healthy and one sick one that I,m now spraying with anti fungal [fungarid or similar]. Mine was lime sulphured over winter without help clearly so this week I changed the soil and washed roots thoroughly as an emergency attempt to save it. Hopefully more experienced growers can ID your tree issues better and its not the same as mine.
Any extra info will help others diagnose the problem
eg;when you last repotted/ what soil mix/ where you are, etc. Always better to offer too much information rather than too little.
With luck it will be something other than fungal.
Goodluck

2 years 3 months ago #55226 by Grahame
Hi bob
Thanks for your advise
The TM had a full goin over amonth ago ,fresh soil (which i bought at a bonsai nursery close to me) roots trimmed while it was out and laid over
And I live North west of sydney
The leaves are the first burst of the season

2 years 3 months ago #55230 by JC
Hi Graham

Was that out in leaf when we had those very hot windy days just recently ?

Just a thought is that a commercial bonsai growing media as in Plugger or the Grange product that Leong sells ?

JC

2 years 3 months ago #55237 by Grahame
Hi jc
It has been inleaf now for bout 2 and a half weeks
And the growing media is a commercial one
Ive never had the time or quite know how too
Make my own ( which i would really like to do )
Thanks for your input jc

2 years 3 months ago #55238 by JC
Hi Graham

I didn't think that it would have been in leaf in the hot days we had, I was just trying to remove leaf burn from the equation.

I would be cutting all of the damaged leaves off and put them in the garbage bin and not the recycle bin.

Just a tip if there are hot days & winds forecast through summer move it into the shade on those days as it will damage the leaf causing burn spots that show up in the fall color.

BTW: I don't bother mucking around with the soil as in making my own as the commercial ones are designed by professional bonsai growers.

JC

2 years 3 months ago #55239 by Grahame
Thanks very much for your advise jc
I will sit down and cut the damaged leaves off
Cheers

2 years 3 months ago #55245 by JC
Hi Grahame

Just a thought it could have been something having a nibble on them just before they popped.

I'm not a lover of chemical sprays, so I collect praying mantis when I see them and they soon do what they do and you have little white ones on the hunt.

I know that at some shows I have seen them sitting on top of the tree's having a look around.

The only thing to remember is that before you start pruning is to give the tree a shake or use a chop stick here and there to move things you will soon see movement. I found that they don't work all that good cut in half.

The other thing I like around is the Saint Andrews Cross Spider they tend to have their webs up against a wall and not in the middle of where you walk.

Footnote: The wife doesn't though, as well as the occasional tree snake that has visiting rites after the frogs up here on the mid north coast of NSW.
VENOM TOXICITY - the bite of the St Andrews Cross is of low risk (non-toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. www.spiders.com.au/st-andrews-spider.html

JC

2 years 3 months ago #55247 by Grahame
Interesting !
Thanks mate

2 years 3 months ago #55248 by JC
Hi Grahame

I though that this may be of interest to all?

I found the link's doing research for good and bag bugs for the club.

For years I thought that the little green leaf hopper was cute?

I couldn't work out a couple of seasons ago what was eating the outside of my fig leaves, then discovered the Fig Tree Beetle.

Here is another listing Good & Bad earthbox.com/bug-chart

The Lady Beetle is a good one to have as well but when at larva stage they look like a baddie. www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_ladybirds/

Here is a link of some nasties to have a look at. www.gardensonline.com.au/GardenShed/Gard...tor/PageSize_64.aspx

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, Mr Badhair, Kevin

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds