Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Mosses and water quality.

1 year 10 months ago #58383 by John
Many people grow moss around their bonsai, intentionally and unintentionally. For those of you who do, what kind of water do you use for watering? My main focus in plants is moss and other byrophytes and I'm up to around 80 "varieties"but in most cases, tap water is detrimental to them. Since they lack a vascular system like higher plants posess, they use capillary action to move water around the plant, tap water in many cases is hard and full of dissolved solids and as it evaporates, everything in the water stays and eventually clogs them up and kills them. Some seem more tolerant but just curious if people who actively grow mosses around their plants have to pay attention to water quality? Currently only have access to tap water for watering but hope to get the rainwater tank pump fixed soon to utilise that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #58385 by JC
Hi John

Might see what the other guys have to say as I have a plentiful supply of a variety of moss and only have water tanks, thank god that is nearly full.

JC

1 year 10 months ago #58388 by Taffy
Me too JC - rain water only here. I have two ten thousand gallon in-ground concrete tanks and a 5 thousand gallon poly tank as a reserve. Don't have mains water here - and don't want it! but I do have three small dams (read ponds) which I also use. Whenever I go into town and have a cup of coffee, I can taste the feral concoction that mains water supplies - it really is feral.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

1 year 10 months ago #58390 by Rod Whiting
Hi guys I don't have the luxury of tanks so I have done the only thing I could think of and that was to put a water filter on the tap that I use to water my trees , taffy's seen it and can vouch for the health of my trees .
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

1 year 10 months ago #58393 by JC
Hi Taffy

I agree its much better with a bit of frog dung in it :laugh: :cheer: ;) :P :angry: :sick: :silly: :whistle:

JC

1 year 10 months ago #58394 by JC
Hi Rod

Seem to remember you doing a post or a mention on the filter?

Can you please explain what it does again and the brand etc.

JC

1 year 10 months ago #58402 by Rod Whiting
Just for you JC I have attached a pic of the never before seen watering system .
1 . The tap
2 . The water filter
3 . The exclusive plumbing system that ties it all together
4 . 2 tap water splitter
5 . Hoselink 30 mtr retractable hose reel , hose and watering wand
6 . Gardena max control programable water cycle controller
Everything used except the Hoselink hose reel and fittings are available from Bunnings .
I am not plugging Bunnings but beggars can't be choosers it depends on what's available in you area .
The filter cartridge chosen is carbon one and is supposed to take out the nasties , you can read up on
them on the net and then make an educated choice .
The filter is the same idea but not the same brand as I use in my house for drinking water .
Looking forward to your critique of my plumbing effort !.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: adam k, Anthony W, Nanette

1 year 10 months ago #58408 by John Paton
Guys

Interesting reading.

We have a tank but given the rain in Canberra it's almost always empty so we used town supply for everything - my trees grow fine and I drink lots of water and never found a bad taste - perhaps the pollies have organised only top shelf stuff

John(JP)
CBS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W

1 year 10 months ago #58409 by JC
Hi Rod

Where did you get the gal fittings from grandad, I didn't think that they still made them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then when they rust it will add a bit of iron into the equation :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Sorry but you didn't think that you were getting away did you?

JC

1 year 10 months ago #58419 by Rod Whiting
Hi JC old habits die hard . Anyway I'll be rusted away and in the wind before the plumbing rusts . I knew you you would not let me get away without some humorous comment . Thank you for being reliable . And I appreciate your humour keep it up .

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds