Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Leptospermum trinervium (Flakey-barked Tea-tree)

6 years 8 months ago #40018 by David Willoughby
Hi all,

I thought I would share with you a couple of Lepto's that I recently dug on a dig with Jason and Sir Ric. I am not counting chickens yet being dug 2 days ago but I have a good feeling about their chances at survival. They were both growing in a shallow pocket of sandy soil ontop of rocks so collection wasn't difficult.

This first one stands at just under a metre tall and the base which is covered by soil at the moment, is about 25-30cm wide. It has two dead trunks that have amazing shari and jin (the shorter of the dead trunks was longer, but a large chunk snapped off in transit lol).

The next one is a smaller one, it stands at 80cm in height and the base is around 15-20cm under the surface.

Both of these ones I think have a tonne of potential and I will be doing my utmost to ensure they pull through.

This next one was collected by Jason around 8 months ago and has been putting out a heap of growth since it was relocated to my place. I will start to play around with this one in the next few weeks, I intend on repotting it late winter into a bonsai pot to train it. Currently it stands at around 70cm in height and the base is about 15cm in width. I have not decided yet if I will keep the larger trunk as I could end up creating a burnt, hollowed out stump but time will tell on that.

*when it flowered mid December

I am growing quite fond of this species and can see myself getting quite alot more. Once the collection aftercare has been finetuned we will start to go for the bigger stuff, which we have access to plenty of them. I will have to try and pursuade the boys to post up what they got from the dig and also get Jason to post up a few of his as he has some real crackers. I am surprised that I have not seen too many of these in bonsai as they seem perfect material (there could well be alot of them in Bonsai, but one has to remember that I have lived a considerably sheltered bonsai life up until now.....lol).

Cheers

David

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Therese

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #40019 by Peter Woosley
Great stuff David! I think they make really good material for bonsai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Willoughby

6 years 8 months ago #40031 by Jason
Fingers crossed willows :)

Mine has been unfortunately a little hard to move so the poor quality photos will have to do for now,

This was basically a group setting dug straight out of the ground and placed into a large bread tray, it has three species of lepto along with multiple lichen, moss and grasses. I am not at all concerned as to whether these guys will make it, the amount of roots that came with it is huge. Will be very interesting to try and make a cohesive design between all the trees.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers jason

Tree-riffic!!!! :)

6 years 8 months ago #40032 by Jason
Fingers crossed willows :)

Mine has been unfortunately a little hard to move so the poor quality photos will have to do for now,

6 years 8 months ago #40046 by David Willoughby
Thanks Peter, I can see myself getting alot more of these in the future.

Thanks Jason for posting up your tree's mate. That was a great score your Lepto and isn't the other a beckea of some description ? I remember the bark is different from that of the lepto, either way its a great bit of material and I will look forward to seeing where you take it.

Hopefully Sir Ric can be pursuaded to post his up hehe.

Cheers

David

6 years 8 months ago #40047 by Jason
Both trees in the photo are leptospermum, just not sure what the other one is. Will wait till it flowers to see colour, which will give us a far better chance of an id. I just look forward to seeing this group grow
Strong and become something special.

It really immerses me in the blue mountains, just a smaller setting. Will keep you posted.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Woosley

6 years 6 months ago #40968 by David Willoughby
Hi All,

I thought I would update the thread with how each are going since I last posted.

The first one looks to have survived collection, the only thing that I have done to is since then has been apply lime sulfer to the two dead trunks and nothing else. A bit of dieback has occured which was expected.

I will let it recover for at least 12 months to put on some growth before considering styling.

The second one hasn't fared as well as the first, at this stage it doesn't look like it made it through collection, but I haven't given up hope because friends have had stumps of these sit for as nearly as 12 months when all of a sudden a shoot appears so I hope that this will be the case. It is no surprise it hasn't done any good as it was lacking a substantial rootball when collected.

The third one, which was collected over 12 months ago by Jason, I thought to give at an attempt at a first styling. I repotted it also into a spare pot I had lying about. A few more years of growth and it should be looking decent. Have yet to decide on a front but its only early days.

And to add another Lepto to the thread, its not a L. trinervium, its a L. scoparium or commonly known as New Zealand Tea Tree.

I got this tree as nursery stock at the beginning of December last year. I thinned it out and wired it up not long after that and have only recently removed the wire and potted it up into a spare pot I had lying about (will be on the look out for a better one, but its a few years off yet as I will be gradually reducing the rootmass on it. I didn't remove alot this repot and it now sitting in a water tray in the shadehouse. It, like my other ones will be watered with a vegemite and water solution (a tip Jason and I got from Lee Wilson and it works a treat).

*1 December 2013 (after getting it)

*the flowers, this was taken on the 10th December

*3 March 2014

With more refinement, I think it could be a cute little tree in the future. I can't wait to see it in bloom and will be sure to post an update of it when it does.

Cheers

David

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #41365 by David Willoughby
Hi all,

I'm just adding another Leptospermum trinverium to the thread that I recently potted up. It is another collected one that Jason gave us in around June last year and is anlot smaller than my other ones. It is a learning tree again so I can experiment on something and then take it too larger materials.

*16 June 2013

*3 December 2013

*25 March 2014 Before

*25 March 2014 After

I know its not that much, plus being "another" smaller one wont appeal to most here but perhaps in a few years it might have taught me something along the way and become a presentable Bonsai but I guess stranger things have happened. They are not as hard to deal with as I had initially thought with care.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

Cheers

David

6 years 5 months ago #41373 by Anthony W
Well done David,the style looks good,I think patience is the key with all our trees,as your tree takes on more character( branches directing out,different thickness to each other,foliage volume,bark character = age and so on)this then gives more presence,you have very good imagination,so time is or you need mate, keep us posted... cheers Anthony

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #41374 by chook
Looking good David, please keep posting as I bought 2 tea trees today[thanks to Brian Bishop who put me on to a good nursery locally] and am following all the lepto threads with great interest, I believe they really are under utilized as bonsai and a lot hardier than we give them credit for, I am looking forward to doing more with natives in the coming year or so. cheers Chook

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds