Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Pinus carribaea hybrid - Twin Trunk windswept

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52050 by wattynine
Early days for this one, comes from the same stock as the other previously posted trees of the same species (not a good ending)
This one I will not re-pot for a number of years now and let it settle.
It is growing well in only diatomite and scoria, we'll see.
progression shots up till weekend just past,
Feb 2016

the area it comes from - harsh growing conditions

as of August this year, in the hands of a demonstrator, knowing I would change it and pointing out I did not like the crown

Attachment 130816.JPG not found

and as it is now with some growing to do in piece and quiet for a while,

thanks for lookin'
Watty

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Taffy, Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #52060 by Peter Woosley
Collected (from seriously shi..y ground) in Feb 2016, given to a demonstrator to work sometime between collection and now......seriously Watty? :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W

2 years 6 months ago #52063 by wattynine
Yeh Pete, I knew somebody would catch me up on it, had to be you didn't it.
Never said was patience was a strong suit.
in all seriousness though, when you saw what other material was there for demo, this was the only one that had anything going for it. North Queensland screams for good stock.
The demonstrator was warned of it's "newness" and we were cautious about too many major bends, just the small stuff, not too much movement to carry down to the rootball, and to be honest I've killed so may of these I thought another wouldn't hurt.
"I don't now how to put a "Laugh out loud" emoji here but that's what would be here"
tongue in cheek, mate,
respect your advise,
Watty

2 years 6 months ago #52065 by Peter Woosley

wattynine wrote: this was the only one that had anything going for it. North Queensland screams for good stock.

As you know Watty, i call a spade a spade mate.

Mate, there is more potential bonsai up there to be collected then there is down here! You just gotta look, and knock on some doors. I have spent quite a bit of time up there over the last 18 months and just driving around i rarely miss seeing something worth a closer look. There is a lot of bougs, figs, cleros and even a yard full of Junipers (Pfitzeriana. this one i won't tell you where it is...:) ). Honestly Watty, the no stock thing in North Queensland is just an excuse, there may well be no commercially grown material for bonsai up there but there is plenty of opportunity to collect, or grow your own. This last year alone i lifted about 40 trees from the ground. You just gotta do it and stop waiting for a soft er option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, wattynine

2 years 6 months ago #52066 by wattynine
Hey Pete, spade a spade, I have MANY collected trees, but if you think I was giving one to said demonstrator, you have to be kidding.
I have just confirmed a opportunity today in fact of free gratus on a property of 2,500 acres with around 10 seasonally flooded creeks.
Closer inspection is set for 5/6 November, wait till I see what that has to offer. This is now in addition to two 3000 acre properties at Biloela.
I have no fear of asking and if you saw my collection of collected stuff not yet posted you would understand that a club as "youthful" as Mackay has no appreciation for what is "up for demonstration".
Another story, I know, but I got myself in the poo with the club even for offering this one up, like I said another story.
Not to discourage your choice of trees given but mate I am not after "garden yamadori" I am after Casuarina, Callistemon, Leptospermums, Melalueca, you get the drift mate, something that screams Australian Yamadori. Mother Nature is the creator, I'm just the conduit.
And ground grown as you mention, I now have 40 plants in the bed and they are BOOMIN'. 2 years wioll make a heck of a difference.
Next time you come through Mackay, the invite is to share your inspirations on some of the stuff I have at home.
Thanks mate, love the feedback
Watty

2 years 6 months ago #52068 by Peter Woosley

wattynine wrote: Hey Pete, spade a spade, I have MANY collected trees, but if you think I was giving one to said demonstrator, you have to be kidding.
I have just confirmed a opportunity today in fact of free gratus on a property of 2,500 acres with around 10 seasonally flooded creeks. Closer inspection is set for 5/6 November, wait till I see what that has to offer. This is now in addition to two 3000 acre properties at Biloela.

Well that sounds like fun Watty. :)

wattynine wrote: I have no fear of asking and if you saw my collection of collected stuff not yet posted you would understand that a club as "youthful" as Mackay has no appreciation for what is "up for demonstration". Another story, I know, but I got myself in the poo with the club even for offering this one up, like I said another story.

I understand the difficulties of clubs providing quality demo material, but it is however a club decision on what material is being provided, not any individual members.

wattynine wrote: Not to discourage your choice of trees given but mate I am not after "garden yamadori" I am after Casuarina, Callistemon, Leptospermums, Melalueca, you get the drift mate, something that screams Australian Yamadori. Mother Nature is the creator, I'm just the conduit.

I dont and never have understood why enthusiasts growing native bonsai feel the need to separate natives from exotics. Personally i don't think natives will ever come to the fore whilst the people using them keep building walls between natives and main stream bonsai. Judge them all together and if the native tree is a better bonsai, give it a ribbon. Dont worry mate, you haven't discouraged me from my choice of collecting, i collect from anywhere, not restricted to urban yamadori nor collecting from the bush. Dont be bashful now mate, ill show you best of my "garden yamadori" if you show me the best of your "collected stuff not yet posted" as i am sure there are good examples of each.

wattynine wrote: And ground grown as you mention, I now have 40 plants in the bed and they are BOOMIN'. 2 years wioll make a heck of a difference.
Next time you come through Mackay, the invite is to share your inspirations on some of the stuff I have at home.
Thanks mate, love the feedback
Watty

Thanks for the offer Watty. Love to see an update of your grow beds.

Here are two trees collected from yards that i would consider are the best i have collected in that situation.

Large juniper, rewired this week. Cant remember when it was collected but probably around 2011 i think.

Very large black pine, collected in May 2014, yet to have any work other then taking some layers off it before i reduce it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, JC, Rod Lovett, Mark

2 years 6 months ago #52069 by wattynine
Again Pete, thank you for your candour.
Did not mean to sound like I was separating natives and exotics, apologies, I too have a high appreciation for all bonsai but what I appreciate and what I wish to collect, at this moment in my life, was the " line in the sand" I was trying to draw.
And while I appreciate your offer, mate my trees would be embarrassed to be beside yours, my level of training is nowhere near yours and I find your trees to be the inspiration that I aspire to. (As per examples shown). The offer still stands in regards to a visit, I would love to have your perceptions on my collection and as to the improvement.
Thanks for the banter
Watty

2 years 6 months ago #52070 by JC
Hi Watty

Regarding the two pictures, I like the first one with the RED CIRCLED crown looking a little literati and stylish.

The second picture has the pot rotated around slightly and makes the tree more sling shot looking?

Still with the first picture, I think if the thicker branch was removed altogether it would possibly look a little like a windswept literati?

JC

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52071 by wattynine
OMG, :ohmy: a question about the tree, thanks JC :lol:
Just to answer you enquiries, I removed the red circled branch as it conflicted and made it look like there were two crowns struggling for apex dominance, (Ok ok, I'm coming back to edit this, patience may not be one of my virtues but honesty is. I attempted to bend the dominant branch back down, I did not like its position on the trunk to be a new crown so I wanted it down and more in line with the windswept approach. I was too vigorous in my approach and that awful "snap" echoed through my fingers, then I removed it) I have thought about removing the large branch, always thought it to be to heavy to be that far up the tree but could not consider doing that at this point in its life (yes, that's me saying that) maybe in its future but I will see how it develops now over the tnext couple of years. I can't say I concentrated too much on the angle of the photos for presentation, it was more about getting them up for a progress series so it could go 5 or 10 degrees in either direction but I appreciate your enquiry.
Thanks mate
Watty
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

2 years 3 months ago #53048 by wattynine
Just an update on this as I troll through all my plants.
I can imagine people wishing, a. I would run out of plants to post, and b. it would stop raining in NQ so I would have something else to do.
Sorry, it's still raining but yes I am running out of trees to update.
anyhooo.... to the trees,

Jan 2016, bouncing back from a trim and wire after a demo.

thanks for lookin'

Watty

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Time to create page: 0.642 seconds