Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Eucalyptus Seedling

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #53209 by Jordan
I decided to grow some Eucalyptus Camaldulensis from seed. This one was sown at the start of spring and has just taken off on me. Im very new to Bonsai but not new to horticulture or plants and was just after information on native bonsai and how i should go about potting, pruning and general care.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #53238 by wattynine
Morning Jordan, welcome to the site and the world of bonsai.
Stoked that you have chosen a Aus Native to begin with.
just thought I would post an answer here for you.
Sorry it's not an easy one, mate, research, reading, and then some reading with some research.
There is no definitive answer to answer the questions you have asked here.
Maybe break it down a little when you have some ideas on where you want it to go.
Depending on where you are and what you want to do with your tree in the short term/ long term.
Try " Eucalyptus" in the search engine and you will get this
www.bonsaisouth.com.au/forum/index.php/s...te=all&childforums=1
Troll around the site a bit more, (and others) and and the answers are there.
My advise, for what it is worth, you mention potting and pruning but the big one is growing;

big growing area ( pot, bucket, box or ground)
Movement. (Wire)
Patience.

Good luck
Watty
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jordan

2 years 6 months ago #53242 by Jordan
I appreciate the reply. I may have just been over excited to get started on working on a bonsai project. I have been reading around the site and I have put it into a large pot to grow.

I will have to get something a bit more advanced so I can work on something so my seedlings can grow and one day be big enough to do something with. I have Banksia Serrata and Melaleuca Violacea in the same situation.

I have been thinking about a Juniper or Maple for the time being. Again I appreciate the advice and look forward to learning more about the art of Bonsai

2 years 6 months ago #53244 by Rod Lovett
G'day Jordan , I agree with Watty , it would be a long time before you Euc would be a decent bonsai. It's exciting times starting on your bonsai journey , my advice would be to start with species proven to be good for bonsai . I would also buy some pre bonsai stock of a reasonable size to get your teeth into, I would also be growing plants in larger pots or ground for the future. In a few years these will have gained some size , and be ready for you to use your newly gained skills on.
When I started around thirty years ago, I purchased a couple of stock plants( juniper and chinese elm ). With these I grew a lot of cuttings, a fair amount of them have been used through the years. and some have been sold . Another bonus is I still have some that have still not bonsaid , giving me some nice old stock to work with.
Cheers Rod

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #53322 by Jordan
After having a fair read of the forum i came across the idea of one member using colanders as a means of growing in. The wealth of information on this forum is fantastic!

Anyway after reading some material i looked at my eucalyptas, cut it by a third to the height i wanted. Stuck it in a colander and placed it in a bucket with a small amount of water in it and the response was great!

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

1 year 8 months ago #55545 by Jordan

Progress photo
Grown from seed last spring the base has thickened quite a bit compared to previous photo and has responded well to being dug up and pruned.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leong, Anthony W

1 year 8 months ago #55546 by JC
Hi Jordan

Great progress and you are also adding to the knowledge base regarding the natives.

Wow just looked and the photos are 9 months apart, its put on a bit of bulk in the trunk in that time?

We have one of our members in WA that is a minefield of information regarding growing natives and I hope he see's this and can add some tips for you.

JC

1 year 8 months ago #55551 by Jordan
Thanks JC

Yeah they are very fast growers, this one was in the ground for the past 9 months and as soon it got some fertilizer, rain and sunshine it went crazy.

I had been told some eucalypts don't respond well to being disturbed but it seems to be doing well.

Yeah if any native growers have any advice it is very welcome. Can't wait to see what this little tree can do.

1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #55553 by JC
Hi Jordan

I thought that you may be interested the Victorian Bonsai Society as they are a native club only.

If there was a an answer that you wanted answered they may be a good source of information as well.

Anyway here is the link to have a look at some pictures for inspiration.
www.vicnativebonsai.com.au/photo-gallery...vnbc-exhibition-2014

I just noticed that you are in Cessnock were you going to the Newcastle Bonsai Show?

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony W, Jordan

1 year 8 months ago #55571 by Jordan
Oh wow i missed it... I told myself last year i would go this year because my son would be old enough to drag along and i completely blanked on the date!

I wasn't able to find much on that website JC however Ausbonsai.com.au has some useful information on a lot of natives. I even found some very useful information on this tree.

The leaves were going very pale and drooping but still not crunchy/dead. Not to worry just a survival mechanism of our hardy natives to draw all their energy back after being stressed to survive. Assuming the same ability that helps survive bushfires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds