Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Pyracantha Question

8 years 3 months ago #27659 by Joel
Finding my Pyracantha is looking very withered, and dry, even though I have been very consistent with watering it.

I did read in a bonsai book last week, they can actually lose their leaves in cold weather, would this be it?

Will post a picture shortly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #27665 by matlea
They will lose some leaves in winter but without seeing the pics?....could be too much water??

8 years 3 months ago #27667 by Joel

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 3 months ago #27670 by chris white
first thing I would do would be to lift it out of the pot. Often we neglect what is going on under the soil. You may find you have
1 root rot
2 lawn grub
3 completely dried out rootball.
To fix these
1 cut away all old dead roots, repot in good quality bonsai mix, water with liquid seaweed.
2 clean out all the little buggers, make sure you get right up under the trunk, you will probably end up bare rooting it if they are in there
3 soak overnight in a solution of seaweed concentrate

Also watch your fertiliser, more is not better, if anything dont fert at the moment, its like making you run when youve got the flu.
Obviously check for bugs on the leaves
hope this helps!
Chris

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #27671 by Taffy
I don't think your problem is natural winter leaf drop Joel. Something else I would check is around the trunk at soil level. You have quite a bit of moss there, and with some species, it can cause the bark to rot away as it's being kept too moist. If it were mine, I'd be pulling that moss back away from the trunk altogether to let the bark dry out. Pyracantha (Firethorn) are pretty tough trees so there is obviously an issue there somewhere. Hopefully with the suggestions offered, you are able to solve the problem.

Joel, Do you think you could put your approximate location in your profile. It gives others here a better understanding of your climate and growing conditions and can help with advice offered.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

8 years 3 months ago #27673 by Dominic McDuffie
Joel, your Pyracantha certainly does look dry & withered, I also see no berries on your tree which is somewhat surprising, mine still has an abundence of berries and is shooting new leaves, I water mine everyday!!
When you water your tree Joel does the water drain freely from the pot? If not as Chris said the problem may be below the surface, check it out it is the time for repotting anyway.

Dom

8 years 3 months ago #27681 by Joel
Ok, being late at night I'm not going to pull it apart now, but see below once I removed the moss.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 3 months ago #27683 by Joel
It is pretty moist, think you may all be right it might be deeper, was only the last 2 weeks it has got like this.

8 years 3 months ago #27685 by Joel
Dom,

Water drains fine no problems at all there mate, yes just going to have to take it out of their pot.

Joel

8 years 3 months ago #27687 by Dominic McDuffie
Joel was the tree exposed to any wind . . . wind burn?
You could always let Leong take a look!

Dom

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds