Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Localised juniper sickness

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #51500 by Oscar Packham
Hello all

I have a juniper in the cascade style.

I had a friend water it while I was away for 6 weeks. While away one of the branch layers died. The edge of another has also died. The rest of the tree, however, is in good health. I have looked carefully over the tree and cannot see any obvious bugs or fungus on it. When I moved it I did notice some dust come out of the needles - I am not sure, but it may have been white.

I've just sprayed it with some Confidor. Does anyone have any other suggestions to limit further damage?

Also, is there any chance the dead branch layer will get new growth on it? (Or must I accept it's gone and try to salvage a jin out of it?! :laugh: )

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Oscar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #51501 by Anthony W
Hi Oscar,maybe removing the wire now to have a good look for boring pests and/or where the wire is wound for ring barking or splitting as it looks pretty well wound especially where the branch meets the cascading trunk (collar).Just some ideas for you,very difficult from a pic of course.

Anthony

4 years 5 months ago #51502 by JC
Hi Oscar

How long has it been in the pot?

If you could go in and add the area or country where you live also helps with advise.

JC

4 years 5 months ago #51503 by Oscar Packham
Many thanks Anthony - will do.

4 years 5 months ago #51504 by Oscar Packham
Thanks JC.

I'm in Sydney.

The plant has been in the pot for 3 years. I have root pruned it annually since then. I last did so in June 2016. The roots still had plenty of room in the pot and little pruning was necessary.

Oscar

4 years 5 months ago #51505 by JC
Hi Oscar

Okie it wouldn't hurt to remove it from the pot to make sure that there isn't anything eating the roots, just to make sure.

JC

4 years 5 months ago #51506 by Taffy
Hi Oscar. You might have noticed that both Anthony and JC have a little house under their avatars. If you rest your cursor on it, it will show you where they are. Example: JC is in Port Macquarie. Mine says I'm in Fraser Coast Queensland. If you go to your profile, you can put in Sydney, and it will then show up a little house under your avatar. When someone puts their cursor up, it will show them that you are in Sydney. By doing this, it can give them the opportunity to offer you information specifically for your location. Please don't enter address, suburb, phone numbers or email addresses.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar Packham

4 years 2 weeks ago #53037 by Adam
Hi Oscar
Did you resolve that problem

3 years 11 months ago #53317 by Oscar Packham
Yes and no, Adam.

The tree is for the most part healthy, as are all of my junipers.

However, that branch was quite dead and so has been removed. Another small branch on that tree and on another tree suffered the same fate.

I'm still at a loss as to the cause. I checked the roots and the tree quite thoroughly for any pests and could not find any.

Oscar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

3 years 11 months ago #53327 by phung nguyen
Hi Oscar,

In the photo, I saw your juniper was placed next to the aircon which blows out hot air when in use. I think this could be the reason.

Phung

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds