Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Heat Management

6 months 6 days ago - 6 months 6 days ago #61248 by GORDON ALLERTON
I am concerned about my bonsai collection in this heat. It is currently 46 degrees in Lake Macquarie. I have put up a Bunnings retractable shade sail up recently to cope with this hot summer. I put it up when the conditions get above 30. I am watering deeply early in the morning and misting the leaves several times a day. My Flowering Apricot and my Morton Bay Fig cuttings are the only ones showing severe stress at the moment. Can you give me some tips for these 40 plus days please?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 6 days ago #61249 by Leong Kwong
Looks like a pretty closed up area with no good air flow and with colour bond fence on one side and fibro wall on the other plus a glass window, Colour bond radiates heat so do fibro and glass reflects heat. The shade you install is good. Is not so much the 40 degrees. We have 42 today, hot but with no hot dry wind everything is ok. I don't know your condition so is hard to pin point what to do.

6 months 6 days ago #61250 by GORDON ALLERTON
Thanks for your reply. The plants seem to like the area where they are, it stops the getting the hot afternoon sun. The misting seems to be working, but I will have a think about how I can get more airflow. Only in the learning stage at this point.
I would really like to come down for a workshop, are there any coming up?

6 months 6 days ago #61251 by Leong Kwong
Most of the workshop are for specific trees in how to maintain and bring it to the next level. Classes starts again sometime in March. Thanks.

6 months 6 days ago - 6 months 6 days ago #61252 by JC
Hi Gorden

If I was you I would join one of the clubs nearby such as the Central Coast & Newcastle, they both have some very experienced members and friendly folk.

The central coast club has a couple of AABC registered demonstrators as members.

You could sit the ones you are worried about in pot drainage trays or something else like the black plastic lids for storage bins you can get from bunnings filled with toping pebbles or small blue metal and fill with water so that the pots can get some extra humidity around them.

That big fig you could completely defoliate it and wire and shape it up to a tree shape it looks a bit balled to me rather than a nice padded triangle, that way it will have a set of new undamaged leaves in a few weeks. :)

JC

5 months 2 days ago #61328 by GORDON ALLERTON
Thanks for the feedback. I am only reasonably new to bonsai, so your advice and suggestions are much appreciated, I have now installed a timber exterior to the colour bond fence as well as on the fibro. With my shelving i have also seperated the planks to allow a 30mm gap between each one. Since doing this the temperature is much reduced and the plants are responding well. Even the flowering apricot is coming back to life, We have also had 180mm of rain in the past 36 hrs which i am sure will help with the bonsai's. Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Mark

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds