Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Death of juniper branches

8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #61977 by Oscar Packham
Hello everybody

I'm wondering if one of you can help me with a problem I have with my junipers. From time to time the foliage on a single branch dies off while the rest of the plant retains all of its foliage and otherwise seems healthy. There are two things I'm thinking might cause it:

1. Every few days they get what appear to be fine white cobwebs over the foliage. I clean it off but it reappears. I've tried to show this in one of the attached photos but it's difficult to capture in a photo - try zooming in on the photo. I have maples in the same area and they don't get these cobwebs or dead branches. I have looked to see if there are any bugs on the junipers but I can't see any. I've never seen spiders in the area. Is this a type of pest / fungus which I could treat with a chemical?

2. The problem seems to have gotten worse since I repotted and root pruned the junipers. Perhaps in the process I damaged some key roots? I did not prune them back too much - just enough to fit comfortable in the pot. The pots are all quite large. Is this possible?

Or is it something else?

If you have any advice on this problem, it would be much appreciated!

Thanking you.

Oscar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 23 hours ago - 7 months 23 hours ago #62015 by Matt
So I’m a total amateur so only some ideas to consider. I frequently get those webs on my junipers but never thought they did any harm.

I see some wire scarring but I get that and it’s usually ok if you catch it early and give it a few seasons to heal.

How much roots did you cut off? 10%, 30%, 50%. I’m always paranoid about overwatering junipers. When you repotted, were the roots healthy, or a bit black/rotted?

The particular branch is low on the tree and dips down from the apex, and gets shaded from above. Are you doing enough to get light to the lower branch?

The top does not look as dense/green as you might expect but that often depends on variety, season etc as much as health.

Otherwise, I’m not too sure.

6 months 3 weeks ago #62029 by David Jones
Hi Oscar and Matt, a very common problem with Juniper is two spotted mite which will severely damage if not kill your tree. Fine web is one indicator. There is a lot of info available on the web. To treat for mite use Yates Rose shield or Mavrik repeatedly until problem under control.
Cheers, David
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Matt

6 months 3 weeks ago #62031 by Oscar Packham
Thanks very much David and Matt - much appreciated. I’ll give it a go.

Oscar

6 months 1 day ago #62061 by Matt
So I was doing some maintenance today on one Juniper that had a lot of webs all over it. I looked pretty thoroughly through all the branches and found 2 spiders...but these were almost as big as a 5c coin when their legs were spread out...so I think that’s safe enough. I left the spiders there, they shouldn’t do any harm.

But I did a lot of research on spider mites and now I’m extra vigilant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Anthony W, merinda

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds