Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

× The Techniques section is a moderated section of the forum to discuss various bonsai techniques.

All posts to this section must be approved by a moderator first.

Air Layering 1.

7 years 2 months ago #37209 by Taffy
Yes Adam. The wound callouses around the trunk and from that callous the roots grow. When you use rooting hormone powder or gel, that isn't what creates the roots. The powder/gel encourages the callous to form. Some don't use any gels or powders and some use honey but results are still good. Personally, I think the powders/gels/honey make it callous quicker.

Btw, if anyone does decide to use honey, make sure it is the real thing - pure undiluted honey, not the cheaper rubbish in the stupidmarkets that is loaded up with sugar and goodness knows what else.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #37332 by Brian Bishop
G'day Taffy,
All of my airlayering have been done on relatively smooth barked material.
I have a tree in the bush that I've been considering for a while now. It is a casurina of some sort and was just lopped off.....don't know by who/when but it has regrown strongly.

Have a look at the bark on this little pearler.......Do you think I would be successful airlayering it? If so, what medium would I use? Spagnum moss, diatomite, vermiculite or just potting mix?
Has anyone else had any experience with airlayering such a heavily barked tree.. Your ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers........Brian

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

7 years 2 months ago #37353 by Taffy
Sorry Brian, I've never Air Layered a Casuarina - or even worked on one, so I have absolutely no idea how it would go. I don't even know when the best time would be to do it either.

That bark is magnificent so perhaps one of the guys here that excel in doing Natives can give us some ideas on their care and treatment - hopefully, pretty please.

I know where there are quite a few Casuarinas on a friends property that they are quite happy for me to 'remove'. Some with trunks round about 100 - 150mm dia and more. Just don't know enough about them to do it, and was going to ask the question on the forum when I got around to it.

Regards,

Taffy

A seed is actually a tree packed ready for travel. (Bill Funk)

7 years 2 months ago #37365 by Brian Bishop
Taffy,
I don't know anything about the care or growing of these fellas either.
Here's a couple that I'm waiting for to develop some signs of life like the first pic I sent you.
I've cut around the tree and cut the taproot. I'm convinced they should work in time..

A little deviation from the norm is good for the soul eh.

Here's what I'm aiming for hehe
Cheers........Brian

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

3 years 9 months ago #53542 by ben
What a great thread. I have successfully completed my first airlayer of a willow leaf fig and all is thriving. Put one on a Banksia I got from work about 3 weeks ago, unchecked but top and bottom are pushing out new growth.
My question is on timing.
I have a tri maple and an ugly ficus benji i wish to layer.
Can I do it now?
Im in Sydney near airport.
Cheers Ben

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3 years 9 months ago #53543 by ben
Very interesting thread. Thanks for your wisdom.
I have successfully completed an airlayer on a willow leaf fig and all is thriving, I put one on a Banksia I got from work about 3 weeks ago, unchecked but top and bottom of the tree are pushing out new growth. My question is on timing?
I have a tri maple and an ugly ficus benji I wish to layer. Can I do it now? I am in Sydney near airport. Cheers Ben

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds