Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

How do I turbocharge this guy

2 months 4 weeks ago #61516 by Matt
I always thought these were healthy and growing well, until I started seeing some other timeline posts on here. I’d say I have had this fig close to 10 years and while it’s bigger than when I started I have seen examples on these forums of trees that grow more than this in 2-3 years.

I repot every second year, soil tends to be a bit of a mishmash of pine bark, scoria, and potting mix.

I use liquid fertiliser (just something generic like PowerFeed) in spring, summer and autumn but winter I leave them.

They only get about 50% of the day full sun, 30% they are in tree shade, 20% in shade from the house. That’s the most I can give them unless I build an area on the roof.

So, am I missing something? Any tricks to get this growing?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #61523 by Bob R
Hi Mark
I find my figs bulk up best when the roots can escape into good soil. Orchid pots have lots of holes so I use them.
Repot/root trim every year in September then sit pot on garden beds with lots of cow poo added first.
Even one year growth makes for some serious digging getting them out. If space is an issue sit it in a foam box or similar with heavily fertilized potting mix. Its very hard to over feed figs. Even 50/50 pine bark and cow manure in my garden bed they just seem to love. When I cut roots heavily in Sept/ Oct I leave the tree unfertilized about 6 weeks then drop them on the prepared beds and keep the water up. Hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Taffy, Anthony W, Matt, Anthony R

2 months 1 week ago #61561 by Matt
So here is my theory...and my plan.

I can’t use solid fertiliser because my dogs make it their life’s goal to dig it out of the pots and eat it. I think the liquid fertiliser only really works for a few days before it gets flushed out, meaning I’m basically starving them.

So starting last week I’m fertilising a minimum of once a week, perhaps every third watering in summer, maybe once a week in winter.

I’ll also be sure to make my soil mix scoria + pine bark + something very nutrient rich like cow/sheep manure. Hopefully mixed in like this will discourage the dogs from digging it out.

I’m open to any suggestions. What if I slurry a solution of cow / sheep manure and water?

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds