Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

My Favourite Tree

1 year 7 months ago #61546 by John Paton
All,

When I started 5 years ago my son gave me a small Fig tree bonsai for Christmas that he purchased from Masters.

During the first winter I thought this hobby is not for me when this tiny little tree turned black in -3 degree and when I showed my golfing mate who had been doing Bonsai for some 35yeras he said - "Oops I think its a goner but try to save it".

So I built a home made humidor with Gladwrap and chicken wire and brought the poor thing inside until the next summer.

This photo is yesterday and it has had no styling or wiring and one repot into this pot - strong little bugger which I am told is a PJ.

John(JP)
CBS

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Taffy, Anthony W, Mark, Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 7 months ago #61547 by Nate
John

Funny, my mother in law bought me a skinny little PJ fig in a shohin pot from the big green shed and that was what got me started.

I still have it. Indestructible. It is a little larger now. Under development, so excuse the healing scars and bad photography.

This image is hidden for guests.

This image is hidden for guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, Anthony W, Mark

1 year 7 months ago #61548 by John Paton
Nate,

Interesting how we individually get started - 5 years ago was my second attempt at starting just following my retirement and move to Bungendore - my first was when I was 35years old(back then I knew everything) and after killing five or six gave up.

At 69 I decided I knew nothing, knew that I knew nothing and started afresh - now at 74 I enjoy enormously my membership in CBS, my study bulging with Bonsai books and articles and my 40+ trees(most developed from nursery stock with a few better ones purchased) - my 4 pines, Crabapple and Corky Bark Elm from Leong are also some of my pride and joy but I have to admit that Shohin size has to be my future as the bigger ones are just too heavy.

John(JP)
CBS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leong Kwong, JC, Anthony W, Mark, Matt

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds