Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

juni squamata aka "the beast"

4 years 7 months ago #51034 by Kerrin
There have been a couple of things about this tree I have never been able to get right, somewhat a balancing act between right and left and front to back depth, the deadwood and the apex always seemed to collapse to the left.....

I toyed a number of times with altering the front, and have made some small adjustments here and there but never been able to fit all the pieces into this puzzle quite how I wanted

so today I bit the bullet and decided on a change of front and some slight tweaking

I believe the new front balances the tree better, and while there is a undeniable loss in the movement in the trunk, it was always just a long curve and not super interesting anyway to my eye. I also feel like I have gained substantial movement in the deadwood and a fantastic contrast between live and dead which was also lacking.

Anyway opinions on the change are most welcome, I would be glad to know what others think

Kerrin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark, max kinmonth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #51035 by JC
Hi Kerrin

What is the view like now from the original front you had?

JC

4 years 7 months ago #51038 by adam k
hi Kerrin i like this angle as well but undecided if its better or not ??
also im a bit unsure as to whether the bottom couple of hanging branches need to be there ?
would really love to hear what others feel , also i think seeing this tree in the bark would help a lot
either way really enjoying watching the progression of this tree
please keep us posted
regards Adam

4 years 7 months ago #51039 by adam k
hope you dont mind Kerrin heres a quick virt along the lines of what i see with this front
again maybe different with the tree in front of you
regards Adam

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Mark

4 years 7 months ago #51060 by David Jones
Hi Kerrin, maybe its just the photo but to my eye the upper portion of the trunk and the crown look like they are moving towards the fence rather than toward you and it doesn't look altogether easy to change ....

David

4 years 7 months ago #51064 by ILIYA VRANKOVIC
Hi Mate,

Great to see you are willing to push yourself to find the best out of every tree.

I really liked the original direction you took... Only thing I would have changed is to have worked on bringing the right hand rear branch more around to the Front right.

Anyways keep up the good work

4 years 7 months ago #51065 by wrcmad

Kerrin wrote: There have been a couple of things about this tree I have never been able to get right, somewhat a balancing act between right and left and front to back depth, the deadwood and the apex always seemed to collapse to the left.....

For what my opinion is worth.... merely opinion, and maybe a set of fresh eyes.... :)

I reckon you had the front right all along, but the angle was unbalanced. The original front had the most interesting curves and trunk line combined with deadwood.

The new front draws my eye immediately to the straight section of trunk.

The original front looks more balanced to me if brought back up towards the vertical. The best aspect of a tree should also be highlighted by "framing" with the foliage. My virt skills are rubbish :S , but this is how I would position this tree (I'll leave the foliage padding and fine detail to you... :) ). The trunk lines are fluid and interesting, and draw the eye from the base of the trunk to the tip of the shari at the apex.
Just my opinion.

Maybe a foliage structure like this????:

This message has attachments images.

4 years 7 months ago #51081 by Rod Lovett
G`day Kerrin, not being able to see the tree in the flesh ,it is very hard to know what works best in the design. I love the movement of the trunk and shari in your original design. Hope you don`t mind, I would head in this direction using your original front.
Cheers Rod

4 years 7 months ago #51089 by max kinmonth
Thought i might throw my 2c in
Shorten the front leading branch and jin before the fork
shari the rest for your back branches
No front pads til top 1/3 of apex
Sorry
That was 3c :unsure:

4 years 4 months ago #51810 by Kerrin
Didnt get around to thanking any of the above for their input, all good ideas and great that everyone is willing to contribute some of their significant experience.

In the ed I have stuck with the change and finally got around to the first repot on this one.

Not an easy job at all, had to wash significant amounts of clay out of the root ball and remove a number of very large dead roots that were either from the first time this tree was lifted or as a result of the initial deadwood work.

The I had to find a way to prop the tree up in the tub at the new angle, 1; so that I could see the planting angle I was after and 2; to actually get it to stay at that angle as it just wanted to roll sideways and out of the pot, all on my pat malone! Not easy when the tree is the size of this one!

Anyway, in the end I got it done, now it's a nervous 2 month wait to see how it responds

Hope you all enjoy

Kerrin

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, adam k, wattynine, Mark

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds