Juniper Workshop - Saturday March 9th (18 Feb 2019)

Join our exclusive Juniper workshop feature Leong Kwong.

Saturday 9th March, 2019 10am at the Bonsai South Nursery (114-116 The Boulevarde, Caringbah NSW 2229)
Call to reserve your space – call (02) 9531 4589

Hurry as space is limited! To reserve your spot call (02) 9531 4589 .

www.bonsaisouth.com.au/bonsai-workshop-juniper/

Upper size limit

1 week 3 days ago #62032 by James Britton
I collected this ficus macrophylla from the head of a date palm at Perth Zoo around 17years ago. While it has punched straight through the geotextile and railway ballast I tried to close the bottom of the 'pot' with (it is a ficus) , I do intend to lift it to make it mobile again. My opinion would be that after that it would again classify as a bonsai in the broadest sense 'tree in pot'. I've been told the 'pot' is the top off of an ore crusher, the 'feet' would be tie down lugs for securing the 'lid'. It is 50mm solid steel construction so something heavy industrial.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC, Anthony W, Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 3 days ago #62034 by James Britton
I forgot to give dimensions. The pot is 2400mm, the main trunk about 400mm and the canopy 3700mm. I like this tree because it kind of mimics the form of some of the big Moreton Bay's at Kings Park. The hope is to bequeath the tree to them.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

1 week 3 days ago #62035 by JC
Hi James

I love the natural shape that it has developed.

JC

1 week 2 days ago #62037 by Matt
You better bring the plans for lifting it forward if the roots are in the ground now. You’re going to need some heavy lifting equipment and some planning. I forget how much the pot weighs but it’s 1000kg or so empty?

Maybe if you just ‘turn’ the pot 360 or 720 degrees the roots that got through the bottom would break? Still require some equipment but at least you don’t need a lifting capacity of 3000kg.

1 week 2 days ago #62039 by James Britton
You forget I did that for a living. The only issue is that the sewer line runs directly below it (of course). I was hoping to be able to freely excavate the whole front yard until it fell out. I'm estimating the final construction, with railway sleeper base, will be about 3 ton (pot 1 ton, 1m3 of dirt and sleepers 2 ton, tree fuck all). I'll just dry hire a 10 ton Hiab, can get it close enough to provide 5,6 maybe 7 ton of lift to pluck it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt

1 week 2 days ago #62040 by James Britton

The stakes in the fore ground indicate the line of the sewer. I excavated inside the pot to cut a section out of the root I hope was the main culprit punching through the geo. It was around 100mm diameter.

This message has an attachment image.

1 week 2 days ago #62043 by James Britton
There was a little persuasion to develop it's 'natural' shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds